Which grains DON'T need to be crushed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard that it shouldn't be crushed but there are those who talk about steeping those dark grains instead of mashing them for a smoother flavor.

Well, I've also heard that black patent malt can/should be crushed as fine as possible, i.e. in a coffee grinder. Not sure why, other than to maximize color extraction. I just crush it normally, myself.

Other than flaked malts and maybe torrified wheat, I'm not sure what would be accomplished by *not* grinding a malt. You want the starch inside, how else you going to get it!

Roasted barley doesn't need to be crushed. It's mostly for color. Many people don't even mash it. Judt throw it in the mash before the sparge.

But it sure seems that you aren't going to get nearly as much color from it if you don't crush it. You just aren't going to have the same amount of surface area to extract the color from.

FWIW, this is the exact opposite of what I've heard JZ preach many times, that BP malt (or roasted barley), you really OVER-crush it (i.e. coffer grinder) to get the most color out.

But it sure seems that you aren't going to get nearly as much color from it if you don't crush it. You just aren't going to have the same amount of surface area to extract the color from.

FWIW, this is the exact opposite of what I've heard JZ preach many times, that BP malt (or roasted barley), you really OVER-crush it (i.e. coffer grinder) to get the most color out.

Most often I've heard him say (including in Brewing Classic Styles (BCS) ) that he recommends a coffee grinder for roasted barley in stouts, because he feels it helps somewhat emulate the twang many people find in Guinness. The finer crush allows for a bit more of the tannins to be leached out, is what I believe he said in BCS.

Yes, you do. Lets let this die, I am a little emberrassed! I should have listened closer before taking something as gospel.

I didn't take you as a Jamil disciple. ;)

I'll try to find the threads that discuss not needing to crush roasted barley. I've seen a few of them around here, from Bob and others. Remeber, roasted barley is unmalted; black patent is malted.

I stand by my assertation that if you're only adding roasted barley for color, you don't need to crush. At least I'm standing by that for now. :p

the_bird said:

I heard that statement as well from JZ. Grind it to a powder and sprinkle it over your grains at the end of the mash to get max color extraction w/o so much roast. Seems like Tasty recommended the same at another point.

And I dunno about disciple, but HBT + BN has really upped my brewing game!

Back