What to do with 3lbs Blueberry puree.. ideas???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
Exactly as the title says..

I bought a 3lbs can of Apricot puree from NB for my Aprihop clone earlier this year, they shipped me blueberry instead. I called, they immediately sent my apricot again however told me to keep the blueberry for the hassle. Grabbing popcorn the other day, there it was at the back of the cupboard, I completely forgot about it.

So!

I've been thinking something along the lines of...

5 gallons apple juice
3lbs BB puree
1lbs Honey
1lbs dextrose

Fermenting out with either Montrachet Redstar or maybe Nottingham so it doesn't finish quite so dry.

Does anyone have any ideas - what would you do with 3lbs of Blueberry puree? I'm all ears... :ban:

I'm doing a 4 gallon batch of cider right now. Only difference is .75 lb of honey and a 1.0 lb of brown sugar. I'm using White Labs English Cider Yeast, Potassium Sorbate to "kill " the fermentation and racking to a secondary adding 2 cans of apple juice concentrate to keep a hint of sweet apple flavor. When it's done, I'll post the recipe. (If its good and not Gross!) I did a 5 gallon batch using 3 lb of each using champagne yeast and It came out hot (14% ABV) and really dry. I've still got 3 bottles left and its a year old. Good effervesense from the yeast but too dry and strong. (Makes you blackout after two -22oz bottles).
I would stick to the recipe, except dry-hop the blackberry puree, or a part of it. Once you've reached your desired ABV, hit it with Potassium Sorbate to stop the fermentation toss in your puree, let it sit a week or two, and rack it into secondary. Or rack and then dry hop. Or just go with your recipe, it's fun to go all mad scientist on it!

Good food for thought - My only problem putting the yeast to sleep with potassium sorbate, I don't keg therefore I can't charge the cider with CO2 to carbonate it, I rely on that little bit of yeast to awaken for their final meal in the bottles.

I've got a couple different batches of cider going right now including an all natural "scrumpy", the latest being apple juice with honey and dark brown sugar - my big fear though is overpowering the final product with blueberry. I used all 3 lbs of the apricot puree on my Aprihop clone and it dominated, however that only came out to 6-7% ABV and I would be aiming to land this cider a bit higher, the additional flavor may help cover that and even the playing field of tastes..

Meh, may just barge it like you said. I'm very familiar with the "what the hell, let's toss it in and see what we get" mind frame, it's brought many fine beers into my house.

Jsmith82
Good point with bottling. I've been kegging just about everything now and bottling out of the keg. I measuerd my 4 gallon batch last night and its at 3.5% and doing good. It tastes amazing and its got that sweet/sour apple flavor a store bought cider similiar to a Hornsbey's. I might just let it go all the way without adding Potassium I don't think it will get above 8%. It will probably lose more of the apple zest, but that's why I'm gonna add a can or so of apple concentrate and I might dry hop with a couple of cinnamin sticks. Let me know how it turns out and good luck!

Back