1 Gallon Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutine Bullfrog

Bullfrog Brewers
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any draw back to bottle conditioning in 1-gallon bottles. I want to make a summer batch for a picnic, which we really can't bring outside beer to (long story). I was thinking of brewing a batch and bottle conditioning into 5 - 1-gallon amber jugs. Most of the beer should be drank that day.

I bottle in half-gallon growlers all the time and do nothing different. They seem to carbonate at the same rate as 12oz bottles.

troybinso said:
I bottle in half-gallon growlers all the time and do nothing different. They seem to carbonate at the same rate as 12oz bottles.

Me too. And to answer Glibbidy, I use screw tops. You can get a but-load of plain ones for really cheep. I usually get a few growlers of my favorite seasonal choice at a local brewpud and reuse the growlers. No problems carbonating them. I do stop the flow of beer when it gets about 1 inch left in the top when I'm bottling and then when I take the wand out the level drops to about 1.5 inches in the neck of the growler.

loop

I have a 64 oz growler that came from Davidson Brothers brewery in St. George NY (good IPA!) that has a screw down cap w/ an inner plastic liner that is labeled "Poly Seal 5". The inner liner is raised in the center, and is designed so that screwing it down to the glass will deform the plastic against the inside rim of bottle neck, and seal that way.

It's designed for filling under a tap and bringing home. I'm not certain that it'll take pressure from bottle conditioning and hold it for a month or two. Certainly it never leaked, and I shlepped the beer back on a train from St. George to Manhattan, no problems.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

mgoldey said:
I have a 64 oz growler that came from Davidson Brothers brewery in St. George NY (good IPA!) that has a screw down cap w/ an inner plastic liner that is labeled "Poly Seal 5". The inner liner is raised in the center, and is designed so that screwing it down to the glass will deform the plastic against the inside rim of bottle neck, and seal that way.

It's designed for filling under a tap and bringing home. I'm not certain that it'll take pressure from bottle conditioning and hold it for a month or two. Certainly it never leaked, and I shlepped the beer back on a train from St. George to Manhattan, no problems.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

The growlers I've always used with the screw on cap (nothing like you described with the plastic "thing".) Have always held their carbonation, but I've never had them sit around for any length of time. :) My challenge is after you crack it open, your obligated to drink the entire growler. :rockin:

loop

loopmd said:
Me too. And to answer Glibbidy, I use screw tops. You can get a but-load of plain ones for really cheep. I usually get a few growlers of my favorite seasonal choice at a local brewpud and reuse the growlers. No problems carbonating them. I do stop the flow of beer when it gets about 1 inch left in the top when I'm bottling and then when I take the wand out the level drops to about 1.5 inches in the neck of the growler.

loop

Me three. I have done it rather. I put some of my cider into one, primed at the standard 4 oz Corn sugar (5 gallons). It did just fine. As long as you don't push the limits and prime properly with finished beer then you should be ok with growlers.

Thanks, all.

I'll take that challenge! Actually, I have summer roof parties in mind, where I don't want to deal with opening a dozen beers and explaining to everyone how to pour it off the yeast . . . .

Latest posts

Back