3 week deadline--what would you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesmirk

Reaction score
It has been decided that we are hosting a Superbowl party. I have 2 taps on the kegerator--the first is an Alaskan Amber that has 2 weeks left to age, so it should be in prime form for the Super Bowl--ahem--the Big Game party. Knowing that I have a limited time, I am debating what to brew to have ready to go in the second tap.
Soooo, what should I brew?

Since you're kegging you can obviously shave some bottle conditioning time off...what about a simple APA? The freshness will show off the hops, and you'll want to keep it less than or equal to 5% (probably) to keep the party from going south...I think you could get something like that done in time to have it carbed and ready for Feb 6th when the Steelers will be winning it all for the 7th time...:mug:

definatley some kind of pale ale. Something lightly hopped unless you all like your beer with a little more beer in it:D

Check out Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale. This would fit the bill perfectly. I've gone 10 days grain to glass with this.

+1 to a low gravity or wheat beer. If you go the low gravity route (Mild, Bitter, etc.) make sure you use a yeast that clears uber-fast.

Another vote for a wheat.

I've done a hefeweizen in 2 weeks, bottled-conditioned and carbed. 3 weeks with kegging should be no problem.

brew a pale ale let it ferment for a week and a half and then put in a keg and lightly dry hop in a bag the yeast should drop out by superbowl time and you should have a nice hop arroma and a nice clean beer

I vote APA. It's simple and 3 weeks gives you just enough time to dry hop it in secondary which is delicious and helps cover any green notes. (I just did this myself)

The thing with Bavarian or Belgian Wheats is that people don't like them very much. Too much ester, too much clove in the taste. They don't go very well with party food. Instead I would go for an American Wheat, something with an Ale Yeast, like American Ale yeast or German Ale yeast (not Hefe yeast, but Kolsch yeast instead). Hops: Fuggle/Willamette, maybe mix it with Cascade for some citrusy taste. Serve it with an orange slice - and you got yourself a crowd pleaser! It goes great with chips and salsa, wings, whatever!
PS: check this out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/sunny-side-wheat-217038/

The thing with Bavarian or Belgian Wheats is that people don't like them very much. Too much ester, too much clove in the taste. They don't go very well with party food. Instead I would go for an American Wheat

I disagree; my hefeweizen is one of my biggest hit beers among non-beer-folks, and the one I've had folks ask me to make for weddings and parties. American wheats generally have more prominent hopping levels, which tends to be more polarizing.

Back