Anyone have a pepper beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
I really want to try to make a Ale made with peppers. I only have the equipment to do an extract recipes. Does anyone have a good recipe, if not, can anyone help in any recomendations as to what kind of peppers, how many, use in boil and when or dry hop. Any help would be great.

For our Smoked Jalapilsner we use a half pint of jalapenos (for 5gal batch) in the boil (10 minutes) and another half pint as dry "hopping" in secondary. The base recipe is any basic blonde or pilsner or pale ale recipe, hopping schedule is whatever is normal for the base recipe, you can add smoked malts at about 2-3 lbs if wanted, do not use peat smoked at that rate however.

Usually the peppers are sliced jalapenos that we canned years ago, we have one in secondary right now however that we used frozen jalapenos in.

The amount of peppers is gonna depend on individual taste, you could probably use any hot peppers that you want and adjust the amount depending on the heat level of the peppers used, taste it before secondary to see if any more heat is needed.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

My Chocolate Mole Porter won a Bronze in the Spiced Herb Category at the World Expo of Beer. It's made with Mexican Hot Chocolate and my own blended Chili Powder. I just did another recipe tweak where instead of chili powder I added a mixture of dried chilies to the boil in the last 15 minutes. I used a combination of Ancho, Cascabel, Chipotle, Arbol, Pasilla and Pequin peppers.

If it needs more kick, I'll do like I did in the last batch and add some chili powder to the priming solution and strain it before adding it to the bottling bucket.

Revvy, care to share your Chocolate Mole Porter recipe?
I have always wanted to do a chocolate type beer with some heat!

Revvy, care to share your Chocolate Mole Porter recipe?
I have always wanted to do a chocolate type beer with some heat!

This is one of the versions of the recipe, it may, by the date, be the one that netted me the bronze, but I'm not sure. Actually I think it's the first version, which netted me honorable mentions it the Mich State fair and Mich. Rennaisance Festival comps. The Bronze medal version just has more chocolate and chili powder (double IIRC, but my notes aren't in front of me.)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cayenne-chocolate-stout-yikes-134722/#post1518994

The newer version is a total cock-up of the grainbill, since my LHBS was out of chocolate malt that day, so I did a wild arsed tweek of all sorts of malts including that new CaraBrown that just came out.

I did do something else different, rather than just adding a lot of the chocolate I use in the mash like I normally would, I actually dissolved the disks first in my mash water, so I effectively mashed the grain with hot chocolate. Can't wait to see how this one turns out, the grainbill, the way I mashed it, and adding whole dried chillies, pretty much make it a different beer than the other versions, so I'm not sure how it's going to be. I just hope it's not a step back.

Back