Just another Newb Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingC

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning on starting up a brew of NB's Cherry Stout extract kit. Anyone ever done that kit? My main question is: the kit came with a pack of dried yeast. All my other previous brews were done using smack pack cultures of yeast, so I've never done a starter culture before. How necessary is it (using this kit or any other time) to pitch a starter culture vs just tossing in the dried yeast. Could I just inoculate my cooled wort with the packet of dried yeast on the day of brewing? I'm sure a starter culture is the way to go, but I'm anxious to brew this up and don't know if I really wanna wait around. Any suggestions would be swell. :mug:

Dump and wait. I have never had a yeast dry or liquid fail. I rarely if ever make a starter. The yest has been around for millions of years and making beer for thousands.

Thanks guys. I guess my main concern was not that the dry yeast wouldn't work, but that it would take longer for them to activate and begin replication thus increasing the chances of a bacterial infection occurring. But I do have a tendency to over-analyze things often and maybe the best advice I can give my self is to, RDWHAHB.

I rehydrate my dry yeast, it's supposed to keep them from stressing out. I don't know if that's the case or not, as I haven't learned to read the minds of yeasties yet but all my fermentations have started and finished just fine.

If I remember right dry yeast already has the cell count for brewing out of the pack. As stated earlier re-hydrating would lower yeast stress and also verify that the yeast is viable.

Latest posts

Back