IPA placed at the County Fair!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenspey

Reaction score
My IPA (my third batch ever) placed 2nd at the Lane County Fair in Eugene, OR! I'm pretty pumped. I didn't think I would place either of my beers and was just looking for some comments from the BJCP judges. Of course, for all I know there could have only been two IPA entries! :)

My porter got an "honorable mention" because it was placed in the wrong category. It was dry-hopped with coffee but was misplaced into the Robust Porter category instead of the Specialty category. I was a little bit bummed because the remarks show it was well-received but clearly miscategorized. Oh well, I guess I'll be more clear with my labelling next time.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for reading.

Greenspey

Congrats Greenspey,

I tasted your porter, but wasn't on the judging panel. It was a very good porter, but like you said it was misplaced, and unfortunately we have to judge them as they are catagorized. Which actually happens quite a bit.

I didn't judge the IPAs either, but from what I remember, there were about 10-12, or so.

Congrats!!! I'm waiting to hear about the first round judging for the Michigan State fair...And I also have stuff in the Michigan Rennaisance Festival, as well.

Yes, i bet it is. The Lane Co. Fair is typically pretty small in the total numbers. Last year there were maybe 20-25 entries total. This year we had a whopping 53 entries. :rockin:

Yes, i bet it is. The Lane Co. Fair is typically pretty small in the total numbers. Last year there were maybe 20-25 entries total. This year we had a whopping 53 entries. :rockin:

haha. That's awesome! My stout was among 55 stouts at the fair this year!

Regardless, congrats on winning!

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone.

Natas, it's cool to see you on here, too, and thanks for the info.

I really appreciated all the judges remarks. That's why I entered. So, thanks for taking the time to judge at the Fair! I wish I could have sampled all the brews there. That would be pretty sweet.

Time to try some more styles!! :)

haha. That's awesome! My stout was among 55 stouts at the fair this year!

Regardless, congrats on winning!

Haha! That would be awesome. Of course, Lane County only has about 330,000 people while SD county has, what, 3 million?!! Now that's a county fair!! :)

Haha! That would be awesome. Of course, Lane County only has about 330,000 people while SD county has, what, 3 million?!! Now that's a county fair!! :)

yeah. It is intense. Over 700 entries total this year I guess. It is one of the bigger comps in the country I guess. I didn't know that until my friend told me. Shows how much I pay attention.

yeah. It is intense. Over 700 entries total this year I guess. It is one of the bigger comps in the country I guess. I didn't know that until my friend told me. Shows how much I pay attention.

Michigan State Fair had over 800 this year...THe first round was judged over last weekend...damn that's a lot of beer to judge.

I don't figure I stand a chance of even placing...but it would be nice to hear something...the big awards are judged at the fair on the 30th...but I thought they'd let people know if they placed or not...Oh maybe they already did...and I didn't.

The SD one is kind of funny. They do it all in one day and they announce the winners as they are judged. So you sit around all day and just drink and wait. The bigger categories obviously take longer. It ends up being a realllllly long day, but it is fun.

You should all enter Lane County's next year. Just send me your entries...I'll be glad to turn them in.

They require 12 bottles for entry. :D

Lane County Fair hmmm, that was the first time I saw Willie Nelson Live. I didn't even know at the time they had a home brew competition. Congrats and keep on brewing.

Wish they had comps at our county fair. Erie County Fair is from what I have heard the 3rd Largest in the country and they dont have a homebrew competition! LAME!!

Back