Igloo Mash Tun Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
So I am retiring my old mash tun, 10 Gal rubbermaid with SS braid. It is partly melted/duct taped, scratched, a little leaky, lid doesn't seal down too well and worst of all loses temp during my mash. So I picked up a 10 gallon Igloo cooler from Lowes, just a heads up Lowes and Home Depot take Ace coupons so I got $15 off of my cooler, Yay! So I was wondering what suggestions you all had or what you wish you had done with your build. I probably won't buy a false bottom as they are pretty pricey, so I plan on using something else like SS braid, or I have seen people use copper or PVC with little slices on the bottom. I will add a thermometer from brewhardware. So any ideas of things you have seen, done, loved, or hated(those might be the most helpful). Thank you for all your help

The manifold itself is relatively simple. Copper elbows, tees and tubing, with a hose barb or 45s to connect to your valve assembly. Most pieces pull apart (not sweated) for easy cleaning.
My 1st all grain, chocolate cherry porter, was in a 5 gallon igloo with a manifold and it worked great.
Determine the circumference of the bottom of the cooler and build a manifold based on that. 4 elbows and as many opposing tees as is practical, connected by slotted tubing.
One tee on the end that connects to your valve assembly with an npt fitting for a hose barb, or a couple of 45s or 90s.
A good Sunday morning project no doubt

The manifold itself is relatively simple. Copper elbows, tees and tubing, with a hose barb or 45s to connect to your valve assembly. Most pieces pull apart (not sweated) for easy cleaning.
My 1st all grain, chocolate cherry porter, was in a 5 gallon igloo with a manifold and it worked great.
Determine the circumference of the bottom of the cooler and build a manifold based on that. 4 elbows and as many opposing tees as is practical, connected by slotted tubing.
One tee on the end that connects to your valve assembly with an npt fitting for a hose barb, or a couple of 45s or 90s.
A good Sunday morning project no doubt

Cool, I have been wanting to hear how folks like the manifold style. You just cut the bottom slits with a hacksaw/dremel? Got any pics? I do have some fittings laying around the drawer and a piece of 1/2 in out in the garage. Tired of SS hose getting smashedand not staying at the bottom of the tun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider one of these instead of an ss braid or false bottom:
http://www.brewinabag.com/products/the-brew-bag-for-coolers

How easy is that to clean compared to a bazooka tube? Does the grain stick to the bag?

I have used multiple false bottoms and stainless braids as well as bazooka tubes with no noticable change in efficiency from any of them. some were more resilient at filtering and not plugging up though. I use a false bottom with a bazooka tube under it and a finer braided line inside of that now and have never even come close to a stuck sparge. I recirculate and sparge my mash using the DC pumps So I have to be sure to keep the grain out of them. I fine this system works great as a 3 stage filter to prevent plugging while still filtering very well and allowing good flow.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not gonna do BIAB, I know a lot of people like that, but I have my way of doing things. I have SS braid hose and copper tubing and fittings laying around so I don't have to buy a $30 bag or pricey false bottom. I typically build my gear and enjoy tinkering, when I have a project to build, it occupies my mind so I can get away from all the worries of the world. Thank you for all your ideas.

I don't have that mash tun anymore or any pics.
I mash in a 10 gallon with a false bottom.
I bet if you google it there are multiple how-tos.
Good luck

Hi I made mine over 20 years ago, I used a manifold made out of CVPC, Last week I used it for the first time with a pump and it works extremely well. I don't have to recirculate long for the bed to set and I have never had a stuck sparge. I'm not home now so i don't have any picks of mine but there are tons of pictures and videos if you search for CVPC manifold. I will be upgrading soon and I will be using this method again because it has worked out so well.

Happy building.

EDIT: I never glued mine together so it's easy to clean.

Back