Kölsch Killer Red Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12-14 at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 at 68
Tasting Notes
Caramel goodness with the lightness of a kolsch. Slight roast flavor but very light.
KILLER RED KOLSCH

For those of you who want something in between a traditional bready blonde, an American amber, and an Irish red.

9lbs 2-row
.50 lbs Caramunich
.50 lbs Light Munich
.50 lbs Crystal 15L (or 40 for darker)
1oz Hallertau or Northern Brewer hops at 60 min

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes
Fly sparge
WLP029 works awesome - the only beer I make that cannot have dry yeast as a substitute.

I've also added 4oz of corn sugar at the start of the boil a few times.

I only bottle my beers, and this was best after 4 months in the bottle. It was the best beer I've ever made. So delicious and a great balance between sweet, roast, caramel, and blonde taste.

I would either bottle this after 21 days and let sit for two months, or secondary after a few weeks and leave there for at least 30 days.

This is a big winner for all beer drinking types, from SWMBO to your hard core hop heads who need a break. This beer is a great starting glass before a hoppy beer due to its sweetness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly the kind of recipe i was looking for, especially since i have all the ingredients except for the 15L might swap that with carared, hopefully i will brew this up and remember to report back

I modified this recipe slightly to use Pilsner malt instead of 2-row. And I used 1 ounce of perle at 60 and 1 ounce of hallertau at 5 min.

Really interesting result! It’s 5 weeks after brew day (bottled not kegged) and the aroma is like Canadian Club rye whiskey (CC). Body is rich, colour is pale amber/red. Very cool. Really different.

I just did a Kolsch and used this:

6# Pilsen
6# 2-row
1# Munich
10 oz White Wheat

3 ml Hop shot 60 minutes
.5 oz Hallertau 5 minutes

Yeast: WLP-029, no starter, just pitched it.
Fermented at 60 degrees

This was a bit of an overbuild to accommodate losses in the mash tun, pump lines and so on. For a more normal batch, reduce by 10 percent.

I modified this recipe slightly to use Pilsner malt instead of 2-row. And I used 1 ounce of perle at 60 and 1 ounce of hallertau at 5 min.

Really interesting result! It’s 5 weeks after brew day (bottled not kegged) and the aroma is like Canadian Club rye whiskey (CC). Body is rich, colour is pale amber/red. Very cool. Really different.
Any pics you can share? Did you use crystal 15?

Back