Cream Ale "Clotted Cream" cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
This beer is a new take on cream of 3 crops I brewed up. Was trying to get a nuttier, breadier flavor out of the popular cream ale as well as a creamier fuller mouthfeel.

All Grain
5 gal batch
O.g. 1.044 f.g. 1.010

6lbs Marris Otter
2lbs instant grits
8oz instant/minute rice
4oz instant oats

.5 oz Willamette (60 min)
.5 oz crystal (60 min)

Us-05

Mash @ 148 degrees for 90 min

Boil for 90 minutes

I let this sit in primary from feb 12th until march 13th and then bottled and just had one yesterday after 6 days in the bottle and its my first recipe I thought was good enough to post here.

I hope its different enough from co3c to justify its own thread.

Tasting notes
It's clear, creamy and full bodied, slight hint of a bready flavor yet light drinking. Will get the bmc drinker test after another week in the bottle as well as a side by side comparison with biermuncher's co3c after a few weeks as I just brewed a batch of co3c 2days ago.

This is my first time posting a recipe so let me know if I missed anything.

View attachment 1426851816055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice I brew cream of three crops with Vienna malt from time to time or replace a 1/3 of the 2 rows

with Vienna to get a biscuit taste to the brew

but I will have to give yours a try

thanks

S_M

nice I brew cream of three crops with Vienna malt from time to time or replace a 1/3 of the 2 rows

with Vienna to get a biscuit taste to the brew

but I will have to give yours a try

thanks

S_M

Be sure to report back, I have the original co3c in the fermenter now to do a side by side comparison.

@wtaylor3, can I substitute the grits for flaked corn or dextrose and just modify the amount to match this recipe using beer-smith or brewers friend?

I've brewed co3c with both grits and flaked maize and didn't notice a difference in taste so I would imagine you would be ok in doing so

I really thought you may have put clotted cream in the brew. :)

Back