How much brett to use as secondary strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
Assuming I'm making 5 gallons of 1.090 beer and I plan on pitching a neutral strain and Brett L at the same time, if I use normal pitching rates for the Brett? I know I'm being a penny-pincher, but Brett L is expensive and if I can get away with saving some for future brews, I would prefer that.

As a secondary strain, you don't need to make a starter. I think White-Labs vials have 1/5th of the amount of Brett as they have with Sacc, and the quantity is designed for secondary pitching into 5 gallons of beer.

If you want to save some, make a small starter. Pretty much any size bottle you can fit an airlock on. I use a 1.5 liter wine bottle with one of the small bungs on it. Use some of the starter in your beer, top up the starter and store on a dark place. Provided the airlock doesn't dry out, the Brett in the starter should be good for months, and if you periodically feed it (add fresh wort to it), it can last years.

As a secondary strain, you don't need to make a starter. I think White-Labs vials have 1/5th of the amount of Brett as they have with Sacc, and the quantity is designed for secondary pitching into 5 gallons of beer.

If you want to save some, make a small starter. Pretty much any size bottle you can fit an airlock on. I use a 1.5 liter wine bottle with one of the small bungs on it. Use some of the starter in your beer, top up the starter and store on a dark place. Provided the airlock doesn't dry out, the Brett in the starter should be good for months, and if you periodically feed it (add fresh wort to it), it can last years.

Thank you. This sounds like the route I will take. I decided to add the Brett L to secondary anyways since I recently read that it will develop more funk if used in secondary. But I will take a small amount and make a 1 L starter.

Back