Kit suggestion for a Bud Light drinker (wife)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew77

Reaction score
So far I have brewed a American wheat and a honey wizen. Both my wife hated! I would like to get a kit to make for her, possibly a fruit beer. I keep hearing about cream ale kits but have never tasted one. Any suggestions?

So far I have brewed a American wheat and a honey wizen. Both my wife hated! I would like to get a kit to make for her, possibly a fruit beer. I keep hearing about cream ale kits but have never tasted one. Any suggestions?

Cream ales aren't for everybody, either. Can you get Genessee Cream Ale, or Little Kings where you are? Then you could have her try one and see if she likes it before making 5 gallons of it.

You could try a super light American lager that she might like, if you have the ability to make a lager.

My girl loves my ciders. Also my Oktoberfest beers have been great.

The Oktoberfest was a kit frommr beer, the cider was 100% apple juice + some table sugar

I don't know of a way to replicate Budweiser, especially with extract, so I'd advise going a different route. I found the two cream ale extract kits I did to not be clean enough for the non-craft beer drinker. Has your wife ever had a dry Irish stout? This is a style that I find more women like than I would have expected. The NB Dry Irish Stout kit was one of my first "successes" in homebrew - where I had people going for seconds gladly. Just another thought.

Another approach might be a Blue Moon clone. Have her try the commercial version, if you get the 'thumbs up' poke around, I'm sure there's an extract recipe on HBT or the interwebs.

Dave

Try an Aussie light ale from midwest. It's very smooth and not to hoppy at all. Also, it has a nice light color to it. Use Irish Moss and it lightens up real well. Great beer for someone who isn't really into heavy stuff

belgian wit w/ corriander is BETTER than blue moon. give it a whirl, I found that many friends who wear skirts like it. Got another in the bucket right now...

denverd1 said:
belgian wit w/ corriander is BETTER than blue moon. give it a whirl, I found that many friends who wear skirts like it. Got another in the bucket right now...

Totally agree.

OP: look up Biernunchers "Blue Balls" on this forum. Way better than blue moon and it didn't last on my shelf long at all. Also is a quick turnaround.

newbrew77 said:

Here is my fruit beer recipe: www.beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/22243/fruit-cream-ale

It's a cream ale base but I found the pre-fruit flavor to be quite a bit like a flavorful bud light.

I've done blueberry and peach, both delicious and very popular.

Norhern's cream ale kit is pretty light and smooth. It uses Rice for some of the Malt which contributes to the light color and flavor. Worth a try, and very drinkable for you if she doesnt like it.

I would try a golden/blonde ale if she likes beer with light taste. A Kolsch is another option. You can get a lot of the golden ales with various fruit flavors such as peach, honey, raspberry, lemon. I have had several girls try my cider and they loved it even if they like sweet drinks or bud light/coors. The cider is EdWort's recipe and it comes out similar to a dry wine.

I made a basic wheat beer and added 5 #'s of fresh local strawberries to it and it has been a HUGE hit with my wife and all of her lady friends who have tried it. My wife is not a Bud or Miller Light drinker either though. But she is not a big beer drinker period for that matter and she loved my Strawberry Wheat.

Here is a recipe I use for light beer:

5 pounds extra pale liquid extract (or 4 pounds of DME)
1 pound Corn syrup or Corn Sugar

Boil for an hour:
3/4 oz Hallertau for bittering (60 minutes)
1/4 oz Hallertau for flavor (last 15 minutes)

Dry yeast: US-05
Wyeast: 1056
White Labs: California Ale

Important: Crush 3 Beano tablets (yes, Beano) and add when you add the yeast.
Be careful not to touch the tablets from the bottle and crush with very clean and sanitized utensils.

The Beano tablets make the beer finish very clean.

It also helps to use half distilled water and half regular water (the water you usually use for brewing).

The absence of aroma hops, the beano tablets and using some distilled water will make the finish extremely clean and very enjoyable for light beer drinkers.

Forrest

this is from an old tread I asked in 2008 (back then under the name BPD) and Forrest from Austin Homebrew replied with this recipe. everyone loved the beer who were Lite beer drinkers

Back