Will my beer still carbonate in the bottle if it has cleared already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robms88

Reaction score
I left my beer in the primary for 12 days instead of the normal 1 week(ish) that I normally do. I have bottled it, but it has cleared within two days and hasn't carbonated yet. I am concerned that too much yeast had fallen out of suspension in the primary and there is not enough in my bottles to carbonate the beer. I primed with coopers carbonation drops as per their instruction.

With that said, I guess my question is this...

Does it matter that a beer has cleared in the bottle in two days yet it has not carbonated yet? Will there still be enough yeast to do this?

Cheers.

I'm not sure about the beer clearing up in the bottle in two days, but my last beer I left in primary and secondary for a total of 4 to 5 weeks and it was crystal clear going into bottles and still carbed alright.

many of us leave our beer in primary a month or more. sure it'll be clear, but unless you're filtering the yeast out completely, there'll be plenty to carb the beer. it will, however, take a lot longer than two days to carb up. 3 weeks at room temp and then a few days or more in the fridge is a general rule to follow.

What kind of brew are you only fermenting for one week? Not saying it isn't done fermenting in that short of time but it might taste a bid smoother if you let it go at least 2 weeks. :)

Back