Most reliable/accurate thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm going nuts trying to figure out efficiency problems and one possible culprit is my thermometer. I use an inexpensive dial thermometer like this (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_67_65&products_id=996) which I've calibrated using the ice water method and the boiling water method. I assume it's fine but it seems odd to me that all other thermometers in the house differ. I have a cheap floating one that sometimes matches it and other times does not. The kitchen digital thermometers we have also show different values so I have no idea if I should trust them.

So if I were to buy another thermometer to be my "number 1", any suggestions on what to look for to be the most accurate?

it seems odd to me that all other thermometers in the house differ. I have a cheap floating one that sometimes matches it and other times does not. The kitchen digital thermometers we have also show different values so I have no idea if I should trust them.

thats why you have to calibrate your thermometer. these things are mass produced and there is an acceptable margin of error they use when making them.

when buying a new one find one that has the range you want and don't be afraid to spend money. typically, like with anything, you get what you pay for.

The only one I can calibrate is the dial one but I think it was only around $12 so I don't consider it high quality. I did check the cheap floating thermometer using the same ice water test and it seems to be fine. The kitchen digital thermometers can't be tested in ice water I think as we had one stop working when I tried that.

I'm debating going into the $35 range to get one of those laser ones. I see AHS has one and I think it's the same thing you can get at Home Depot. It would certainly be faster and safer than anything else.

Thermapen looks interesting. If it were $50 I'd probably pull the trigger easily. Still, to end the debate I may have to get one.

Does the short length of probe cause any issues? You obviously can't get very far into a tall mash tun with a probe that short.

Any ideas what the difference is between "range" and "operating range"?

The operating range is the temperature range that the device can be exposed to. The probe can be exposed to temps over 500F, but the casing and electronics cannot handle such temps. So do not expose the casing to below zero temps and do not expose the casing to temps above operating range. Same thing as when you see on your computer box a do not store below 38F or above 100F or something.

Thermapen looks interesting. If it were $50 I'd probably pull the trigger easily. Still, to end the debate I may have to get one.

Does the short length of probe cause any issues? You obviously can't get very far into a tall mash tun with a probe that short.

it gets you deep enough. if you have that much temp variance in your mash, you need to stir more.

i'm on my 3rd taylor thermometer. for the cost i could have gotten a thermopen. when this one dies, i'm getting a pen. in this hobby, temperature reading isn't a place to cut corners.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out efficiency problems and one possible culprit is my thermometer. I use an inexpensive dial thermometer like this which I've calibrated using the ice water method and the boiling water method.

I had a similar experience with a dial thermometer that I would calibrate to boiling water. It would read accurately in ice water but for some reason right in the 150 area it was reading 4 degrees off compared to my Ranco's. With that I won't use anything but a digital thermometer and the old dial is used only to determe how close to a boil the wort is.

Awesome thread!!! I was just about to post just about the exact heading, but our search function brought up this thread. I'm ordering my thermopen today. I've had it. I guess I had a great cheap digital thermometer, but it died and I replaced it with another. Well, I have been chasing my tail now for 4 batches, and today I am going with the Blichman thernomter that is mounted on my Boilermaker/Mash Tun.

Only possible issue I can see with the Thermo pen is the shortness of the barb. But, like mentioned above, I'll just stir a little better. :)

Back