Can you Brew It recipe for Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is fairly safe to assume that nearly all all-grain recipes involve sparging.

Are you trying to do a partial mash? or Extract maybe? Just trying to see why sparging would be an issue or concern.

I'm trying to do this all grain, I just can't find directions how much water to mash with, then how much water to sparge with and at what temperature. Thanks for your help.

Can someone tell me what kind of Munich is in this recipe? In beersmith it only gives me
munich 20L
Munich 10L
Munich Malt

What should be used? Thanks

Thanks!

Now, is munich 10 and 20 more of a crystal type malt? I see Munich used interchangeably in a lot of recipes and never know to which they are referring. I know the german Munich malt can be used more as a base malt, but what about 10 and 20? I would think not, but if someone can clear it up for me I would appreciate it.

Munich is rich and complex, increases body and malt aroma, and adds a touch of malt sweetness and toastiness while providing a slight orange hue to the beer. I believe it's just a more highly kilned version of pale malt. Crystal malts are different in that they undergo a process that changes the starches in the grain to sugars and become caramelized.

From my experiences in looking at different recipes, when they call for Munich malt they are in all likliehood referring to Light Munich (10L). I can't say that I've even seen a recipe calling for Dark Munich (20L) and have yet to use it myself. I use light munich quite often, up to 15% in a pale ale or IPA, but I don't think you'd want to use it as a base malt. Hope this helps

My OG on this was a big high (59), which is odd since I sparged a bit hurried. Either way, about to enter the dry hop. Brewed this once before and it was amazing, kinda ruins the original with the hop explosion (which I think is mostly from the dry hop).

Regarding the dry-hop intensity people are discussing. Having never had the real beer, I'm wondering if this is an age issue. On the CYBI shows they fight a lot with the fact that their beers are very fresh (usually within 3 weeks on the show) and the commercial beers are older and often abused. They don't even sell this locally in the Bay Area (or they didn't when this was brewed on the show). Those who can get this fresh might know what it "really" tastes like.

Also, I don't see a dry-hop duration specified in the original recipe - I'm wondering if 3 days is more like the real thing.

Thanks

I can personnally attest to this. I made my second 10 gallon batch of this, and simply left 5g of it in cold crash for a month or so while the other 5g was consumed. On kegging the older 5g, the beer tasted very, very close to the original. The original does not have a 'poof' of hop smell in the nose at all out of the bottle, and is a bit maltier than this comes out for me (obviously, lots of variables there).

Those that have tried both at my house overwhelmingly prefer the homebrew version due to the dry hoppiness.

Is this really a 90 minute boil, or is that a type-o? If it is a 90 minute boil, why? There are no hops added at 90 minutes and there is no pilsner malt making it necessary to drive off the excess DMS.

I was looking for a rye pale ale recipe to brew this weekend and I think this may be it. I might bump up the rye malt though.

That is surprising that you got down to 1012. That is 80% apparent attenuation with a lower attenuating yeast and mashing at 154.

Eric

I mashed at 153-154F and pitched a 1.7L starter of 1272 into about 5.25gal of 1.060 and just took a gravity reading after 5 days and I'm getting 1.013.

Back