MY first mead/racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abpt1

Reaction score
On I am new to all this here is 14 days on the fruit and my first racking Pic .
Is it ok .... it is not bubbling at all ? Is that ok ? How am I doing ?

Recipe is an non boil recipe.
13lbs of basswood honey (all this honey is local with in 15 miles of my house )
5lbs of wild flower honey
5lbs of frozen raspberries
3 whole vanilla beans not split
white labs sweet mead
5 gal local spring water.

100_7520.jpg

100_7522.jpg

100_7523.jpg

100_7524.jpg

you're doing fine. Do you have an OG? Based on the picture of your hydrometer, you're likely done fermenting.

Now, let 'er sit for a long time (make sure your carboy is topped off).

you're doing fine. Do you have an OG? Based on the picture of your hydrometer, you're likely done fermenting.

Now, let 'er sit for a long time (make sure your carboy is topped off).
NO I do not have an OG .Do you mean to seal it with a cork? I have a release valve filled with vodka in a rubber cork at this time . Should I just plug it up ?

TIA
Gene

NO I do not have an OG .Do you mean to seal it with a cork? I have a release valve filled with vodka in a rubber cork at this time . Should I just plug it up ?

TIA
Gene

nope. leave the airlock on it since there will still be CO2 coming off the mead - you just probably won't see bubbling any more.

TIA
Gene

What he meant by "top it off" is that you want as little head space in secondary as possible - try to make sure the level is up into the neck of the carboy, within three inches or so of the stopper. That way there is minimal chance for oxidation. This can be accomplished by added water to the secondary – which will necessarily dilute the mead and lower your FG slightly – or you can add sanitized marbles to the secondary to take up some space.

What he meant by "top it off" is that you want as little head space in secondary as possible - try to make sure the level is up into the neck of the carboy, within three inches or so of the stopper. That way there is minimal chance for oxidation. This can be accomplished by added water to the secondary – which will necessarily dilute the mead and lower your FG slightly – or you can add sanitized marbles to the secondary to take up some space.

So I can add water to that carboy ? will that make it weak? will it separate or combine?

See this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/creative-head-space-solutions-163525/. But the short answer is, yes you can put water in, it will dilute it some, but not much. The best solution is to have a one gallon batch of basic mead that you can top it off with, that way you aren't dilluting anything. Another method is to use a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket for primary, make more than five gallons so you will have a full secondary.

See this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/creative-head-space-solutions-163525/. But the short answer is, yes you can put water in, it will dilute it some, but not much. The best solution is to have a one gallon batch of basic mead that you can top it off with, that way you aren't dilluting anything. Another method is to use a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket for primary, make more than five gallons so you will have a full secondary.

DAMN The kid at Mr,Steves told me to get a 5gal carboy when I said I wanted a 6.5 because of the bucket size but I didnt remember why .....:eek:....duh I feel so stupid I did i was wondering why I ended up with so much extra I didnt have any containers for :(
If I transferred it Sunday night how long do I have to raise the level or re bottle in to smaller bottles?

I have beer bottles and oxyfree caps should I go ahead and bottle it ?

Ok i topped it off with 1gal of spring water and added one vanilla bean.

Back