Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took a reading at 2 1/2 weeks and got 1.026. How do you 'account for the lactose'?
I mean, I know it's a milk stout and I 'know' it's done since it has been that long (and the sample tasted outstanding), but was wondering if most people ended this high?

My OG was 1.067 and I used S04.

My OG was 1.063. FG was 1.028.

The one I am drinking now ended at 1.022 I believe. O g 1.067. Still a bit sweet IMO. Might drop the lactose by 10% or so next time but I also think left hand is a bit sweet. This one is dead on.

I put this in the fermenter yesterday.

LHBS was out of lactose so I'll add it later.

I also began my first batch sparge and noticed the flaked products sitting on the table. Dumped them in and put the first runnings back into the mash tun stirred thoroughly and waited an hour. Temp had dropped to 141 after that but conversion was complete. Shouldn't be a problem, but I guess we'll see.

I just took a reading at 2 1/2 weeks and got 1.026. How do you 'account for the lactose'?
I mean, I know it's a milk stout and I 'know' it's done since it has been that long (and the sample tasted outstanding), but was wondering if most people ended this high?

My OG was 1.067 and I used S04.

My OG was 1.068 and after 10 days I was at 1.024 using S04. I just came back to this forum because I was about to ask if anyone else is getting this. Looks like most people are.

My OG was 1.068 and after 10 days I was at 1.024 using S04. I just came back to this forum because I was about to ask if anyone else is getting this. Looks like most people are.

Yep as long as a is steady for 3 or more days you should be good to go

I tapped my second keg of this on Tuesday of this week. Excellent beer. I know that it won't last long. It finished at 1028. I hope to brew another batch of this some time this weekend. This will be a regular for sure.

Bottled 52-12oz bottles of this yesterday. Added the lactose and priming sugar at the same time in the bottling bucket. I can't wait for this to carb up, the slightly less than 12 oz that I drank yesterday was very good, even though it was flat.

This was WAY better than LHMS. Completely different finish. Cheers to this recipe!

Marklog

Just had my first taste of this, and it is great!

My only subs were increasing the lactose to 1.25lbs, and increasing the chocolate malt to 1lb, and decreasing the roasted barley to 12oz.

It's stellar. Better than Left Hand. Kegged at 5 weeks.

Thanks for the great recipe!

Brewed 10 gallons of this on 11/29/14. Followed the recipe exactly. OG 1.068, FG 1.024. Kegged on 11/13/14 as I was a bit rushed to get this carbonated in time to bottle it and take it out of town. First keg went dry in 2 weeks. I just tapped the second keg. Everyone who likes milk stouts LOVES this beer, including myself. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm using RO water for the first time (usually use well water at a friends house) and plan on making this recipe for LHMS clone (based on the 50+ pages of enthusiastic users)!

Using the MpH water calculator, I've entered my mash bill and adjusted for 100% RO water. I thought I'd add enough gypsum and calcium cloride to provide 70 ppm CL and and 68ppm SO42 ions, and to add a little alkalinity with baking soda to the tune of 53ppm HCO3. pH is estimated at 5.32 with this combo (and accounting for the mash bill).

Does this sound okay for a Milk Stout?
Is adding baking soda recommended for this recipe (seems like all Stout waters have some HCO3)?

Any advice / feedback from the water experts out there will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

I brewed my fourth batch of this beer yesterday. OG 1070. Used Notty for the fourth time as well. I was thinking of using US-04 or US-05, but the wort temp was 62 degrees in my basement, so I went with Notty. Many, many thanks for this recipe. I hope to keep this on tap at all times. :mug:

Does anyone have any ideas about adding a bit more oats to turn this into an oatmeal cream stout? How much to add and what to remove (if anything)?

My last batch of this stopped at 1033. It was my fault for over correcting when the temp got too high. I pitched some US-04 to try and help it out, but it's been 1033 for a week now. Should I keg and bottle this now? Any consequences? It's been in the primary for three weeks, and I don't want to keep it there any longer. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any ideas about adding a bit more oats to turn this into an oatmeal cream stout? How much to add and what to remove (if anything)?

As a side note, I mash the oatmeal separate in a pot and strainer then add the liquid. Had 1 stuck mash last year..never again.

As a side note, I mash the oatmeal separate in a pot and strainer then add the liquid. Had 1 stuck mash last year..never again.

Is a stuck mash something that can happen with an all grain setup only? Do iI have to worry about this with BIAB?

My last batch of this stopped at 1033. It was my fault for over correcting when the temp got too high. I pitched some US-04 to try and help it out, but it's been 1033 for a week now. Should I keg and bottle this now? Any consequences? It's been in the primary for three weeks, and I don't want to keep it there any longer. Thanks in advance.

Does it taste OK? My brew stopped at 1.024, and it tastes AWESOME. If it tastes good, keg it and be happy!

Does it taste OK? My brew stopped at 1.024, and it tastes AWESOME. If it tastes good, keg it and be happy!

I kegged three gallons and bottled eight 22oz bombers yesterday. I neglected to taste the sample. I should have, but I never got around to it. I was in a hurry and poured it out. It'll be a few weeks before I get to taste it because I used corn sugar in the keg, instead of force carbonation. I already have a five gallon keg of this recipe in the fridge right now, so I'm not in a hurry. I'll probably check out one of the bombers in a few weeks. I haven't gone wrong with this recipe so far, but I haven't screwed up the temps on the others one like I did on this one. It'll be beer, regardless. :mug:

Would a couple oz of cocoa nibs be a good amount to try, considering this already has chocolate malt? Def want some chocolate flavor but of course don't want to overdo it.

Would a couple oz of cocoa nibs be a good amount to try, considering this already has chocolate malt? Def want some chocolate flavor but of course don't want to overdo it.

This beer had pretty good chocolate flavor on it's own to me.... If you have not done the recipe unchanged yet I would suggest trying that & then experimenting next time. This is a good brew on it's own!:tank:

This beer had pretty good chocolate flavor on it's own to me.... If you have not done the recipe unchanged yet I would suggest trying that & then experimenting next time. This is a good brew on it's own!:tank:

Good call, that's probably the best bet.

Made this in november and mashed in too hot (165 for the first 20 min before I noticed :cross:). FG was 1.032 and I forgot the lactose (found it unopened when I was doing inventory last week) oddly the hydro sample tasted about right. Now just to get over my cold so I can taste the final product.

I might have to not brew in Nov and Dec to avoid mistakes this year.

Made this in november and mashed in too hot (165 for the first 20 min before I noticed :cross:). FG was 1.032 and I forgot the lactose (found it unopened when I was doing inventory last week) oddly the hydro sample tasted about right. Now just to get over my cold so I can taste the final product.

Man that sucks lol... Oh well I bet it's still good!

Brewed this recipe with no changes on the 24th...this was also my first time using US-05. OG was 1.072 and I never really had any airlock activity or a large amount of krausen. Fermentation temps have been between 65 and 67. I finally became worried enough to take a gravity reading yesterday and discovered it to be at 1.026! Gonna leave it in the fermenter for another couple of weeks and then bottle. Is this typical of this yeast/recipe? Oh yeah, the hydro sample was extremely tasty too! This is gonna be a regular brew for me.

I put 2tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder at about 5min left in boil. Just to add subtle flavor. Did 4tsp once, it was too much, at least for me. And as the other replier said, no stuck mashes with BIAB.

I bet if you added lactose it would have been syrup. Could put on your pancacks! 😉

Brewed this recipe with no changes on the 24th...this was also my first time using US-05. OG was 1.072 and I never really had any airlock activity or a large amount of krausen. Fermentation temps have been between 65 and 67. I finally became worried enough to take a gravity reading yesterday and discovered it to be at 1.026! Gonna leave it in the fermenter for another couple of weeks and then bottle. Is this typical of this yeast/recipe? Oh yeah, the hydro sample was extremely tasty too! This is gonna be a regular brew for me.

I find that at cooler temps US 05 tends to look sluggish but still ferment fast. If it runs about 70-72 it churns like mad and can blow a bucket lid off like nobodies business.

I just finished brewing a half batch of this. I had to have something exciting to put in my brand new 2.5 Gal keg that just arrived.

I did a BIAB, no sparge. Split the recipe right down the middle.
I started out with 4 Gal of water, guessing that it might work out to 2.5 by the time I got ready to keg.
75 Minute mash started at 153, and ended at 148. I drained the bag and then let it rest in a strainer on top of a pot. After a little squeeze, and some time I dumped what was collected back into the boil.
I was a little off on my volume estimation and after the boil and ended up with 2 Gal at OG 1.073 in my carboy. I was really happy with that OG so decided not to mess with topping off and left well enough alone.

The hydro sample was delicious, and I hope to have this kegged and ready to serve in time for my friends wedding in may, or their party in june. I am brewing quite a lot of beer for these events.

Anyway, I am very excited about this brew, and my patience is going to be tested with this one. I will do my best to update as things progress.

Back