AHB Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Finally broke down and bought all the ingrids. to make this recipe. They say it's their most popular recipe.

Anyone brewed it before? How did it turn out? Did you make any ingrid. changes?

TxBrew said:
Finally broke down and bought all the ingrids. to make this recipe. They say it's their most popular recipe.

Anyone brewed it before? How did it turn out? Did you make any ingrid. changes?

when are you gonna brew this one?

it's one of the kits i am looking at doing next.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12815

i would be interested in what you think about it...

I have to sanitize all my equipment and bottles so probably start tomorrow if not tonight.

I've brewed the Austin Homebrew version 3 times as a mini-mash when I was starting to brew and 2 times as an AG just trying to learn about grain and hop characteristics. Very nice recipe that I'd recommend but I'd say begin tweaking this one a little to make it your own. Don't be afriad to try an alternate hop varietal strain or a little more or less wheat. I'll post my favorite hefe recipe after I go to the garage to retrieve my notebook.

Jeffrey
Buda, TX

I am actually drinking one right now. It was the first brew I brewed. I used the Hefe IV yeast instead of the one they reccommended. I only have about 14 left and wish I had more. Its a great tasting beer, probably the favorite one I brewed so far.

Just brewed a "Blueberry Hefeweizen" a few weeks ago and drank one the other day (after 10 days in the bottle). Tastes great, except i was trying to get a heavy blueberry taste like that of Sea Dogs' but that failed becasue the blueberry extract i bought at the homebrew store was not strong enough, or maybe i just didnt use enough (even though i used the reccommended amount).

Here is the recipe i used:
1. Ingredients
a. 6.6 lb. Muntons Wheat Extract
b. 1 oz. US Hallertau hops
c. 1 vial whitelabs Hefeweizen yeast (WLP300)
2. Boiling
a. 60 minutes with hops
b. Wort chillerized with 1 gallon water, room temp
3. Fermentation
a. 20 days, only in a primary

I brewed the AHS Hefe, very good. A friend of mine is a big Hefe guy and has a pretty discriminatory palette and enjoyed it.

I little trick I learned for a more "unfiltered" look is to roll the bottles on the counter prior to pouring, especially since I thought my Hefe was abit too clear (granted, who cares, I am not going for style, just taste).

het TxBrew,

did you brew this one yet...?

i just ordered the mini-mash kit yesterday. plan on brewing it next weekend...

i have read of a lot of people having major blow offs when fermenting hefe's.

did you have any trouble?

the reason i ask is my primary is a 6.5 gallon bucket and i have no blow off tube, just an airlock. i would hate to have my short brewing career ended by the SWMBO with a mess in the closet.

btw, does anyone know if i can use a blow off tube with a bucket? it obviously would be a small diameter tube and not the size i see others using with carboys...

A blow-off tube would probably be a good idea.

I have mine fermenting right now, and I had some blowback into my airlock :"doh":

Reusty2k5 said:
A blow-off tube would probably be a good idea.

I have mine fermenting right now, and I had some blowback into my airlock :"doh":

do they make a blow off tube for the plastic buckets?

can i just just a 5/16" piece of hose? is that wide enough?

Back