brewing this stone pale ale clone tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheist

Reaction score
any advice? Here is the recipe which I have already purchased everything from LHBS for.

Ingredients: 3 lb Light DME
3.3 lb Light LME Briess CBW
0.5 lbs Munton’s Pale 2-Row Malt
1.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 80L
1 oz Yakima Magnum Pellets: AA: 14.4%
1 oz Cascade Pellets AA: 7.5%
Notty Dry Yeast

Here is the directions per the recipe:
Steep grains in 3 qts of water at 156 F for 45 min. Add water to make 3.5 gallons. Add DME and bring to boil. Add Magnum hops at 60 min. Then add Cascade and LME for the last 15 min.

It is slightly different than the original recipe but not too much

Let me know if you guys have any tips or suggestions of changing the process.

If you do have a recipe change suggestion let me know but I cannot change that until next time I brew this. Hopefully it will become my Haus Pale Ale that I can continue to tweak to my liking.

Thanks for the help!

Looks good to me. Might be on the low end of the hops, but that's all a matter of taste. I can't say I'm real familiar with Stone PA.

I think the key to Stone pale ale is ahtanum hops for flavor/aroma, not cascade!

I only have the Ag recipe, but the extract clone recipe was in BYO about a year ago. It's worth looking up- I really like the recipe.

According to the hops substitution list I have, Cascade and Amarillo are both there for the Ahtanum Hops. Do you think those would affect the taste that much vice using Ahtanum? Cant wait to try this recipe other than the fact its gonna cost me 50.00 to brew the Extract version. I may try another HBS to see if I can get the corrrect hops since the one I like to go to is also out of Amarillo.

Back