Hops---buds fall off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Was planning to plant some Cascade that are jetting off nicely indoors while I wait for our prairie winter to piss off (snow forecast for the next few days yet, up to 10cm rumoured according to forecasters). But now that I've heard some things about (some) dogs 'potentially' having fatal reactions to eating hops (and I've done the research)---the wife is not keen on me growing them in the yard now.

I would, of course, feel horrible if anything happened and feel the chances are slim but our family tends to lose a pet every 3 years so not real 'pro' on that at the moment.

Since I've never grown before, are the flowers/buds pretty hardy on the vines, as in: do they tend to blow off in the wind / scatter on the ground? I could do a 'snow fence' / chicken wire in front to keep the dogs away but if wind tends to drop them, then the dice would get rolled regardless.

The other option is to clear the area outside my back fence which is pretty much gravel with natural weeds growing there, pull out a tree... so I'm not really keen on THAT plan.

I may have to give the three plants to a friend and say 'they're mine (!) but can you grow 'em for me please? hehe'

-Jeff

They don't fall off until picking time, then you may drop some. As you mention it is a very slim chance, just put some fencing up around them and you'll be perfectly fine, and appease the wife.

True that, they stay on the bine pretty well until it's time to pick them, then they inconveniently start falling off all over the place! An upside down umbrella helps with picking.

But now that I've heard some things about (some) dogs 'potentially' having fatal reactions to eating hops (and I've done the research)---the wife is not keen on me growing them in the yard now.

Another Internet zombie myth.

Animals are not as dumb as some think. Many animals will naturally eat a limited amount of a new thing and wait. If they get sick they learn to not eat that plant again. I have the same problem with some of the tropicals I grow. The local deer have never seen a trumpet plant and they will eat some once, and they never bother them again.

Yes animals will typically know whether to eat something or not (like humans and their ancestors in the way back days---really...who decided to grab a lobster and eat it? or figure out it was better to COOK a chicken than to eat it raw? Or drink liquids that have sat around rotting for a period of time and then go "mmmm...yummmm! but head hurt next day...").

It was just an honest question about the behaviour of hop buds during their life cycle which may or may not affect the life cycle of my pets. (again, which tend to last 3 years when they should be 10 year+ companions, so a bit careful about things but yes 'shoot happens') And after talking with two vets, one of which is married to a brewer friend of mine, I've got the information I need to make a schooled opinion on risk vs. reward.

Thanks.

Seriously? That's something to celebrate then. Or was that just the 100, 000th "typical" reply?

Not slamming. Just responding.

This is a typical reply when newer users ask questions that have been answered a time or two before they use the search function.

Not slamming, just answering your question. :D

How about a chicken wire fence or some such device around the base of the plant to keep the dogs away?

This is what I will be doing. Thanks, giligson. Hopefully the Vancouver spring is treating you nicer than the SK spring here and its sub-zero temps at night randomly still.

Back