Juicers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure do. Usually a mix of juiced apples and store bought apple juice concentrate. But I've done some just ajc and still got taste cider. If you use
Fresh juice pasteurizing is a good idea tho.

I sure do. Usually a mix of juiced apples and store bought apple juice concentrate. But I've done some just ajc and still got taste cider. If you use
Fresh juice pasteurizing is a good idea tho.
What do you do to pasteurize,just simmer on stove top.I would like to juice blueberries,mango and other fruits for ciders

I use a tabletop juicer sometimes to make custom blends for ciders. Having control of your base blend is helpful for making great cider. I get about 80% juice yield by weight from most apples, and can fill a 5 gallon carboy in about 2 hours with cleanup.

I don't pasteurize before fermentation though, it seems like adding unnecessary work for yourself.

campden tablets are supposed to kill the nasties similar to pasteurizing without harming the flavor...

The next time I make hard cider from unpasteurized I plan on adding 50 mg of campden tablets per gallon, leaving it for a day, also I thought I'd make a starter (I usually use dry) 24 hours before pitching as well.

I got those instructions, I think, from the book: Cider, Hard and Sweet: History, Traditions, and Making Your Own [Kindle Edition]

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to buy a juicer.The price of apple juice is cheap,but other pure fruit juices are really expensive. It would also be nice to blend other apple juices as about the only pure apple juice I can get cheap is Macintosh and gala apple juice.

Back