Brewers Equipment Stand Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
Hello all. I purchased a brew stand from brewersequipment.com and thought I’d share my experience and a review of the stand.

Stainless 3 burner stand with control panel, pumps, and auto light system.

I will break down the categories into a couple subcategories for easy reading.

Speed: Order date: 8/19/2010 received date: 11/08/2010. Other time factors to consider: Custom stand, Winner of stainless upgrade (Marcus had to make another stand out of Stainless for me), manufacture was out of stock for control panel parts.

Shipping: Stand is shipped via UPS and heating elements shipped via USPS. Stand is shipped in cardboard box with minimal padding. All small components are tightly secured in interior of stand with tape. I feel that UPS tends to mishandle the box. Upon arrival damage was noted to leg and middle burner piping causing gas leak. (see pic)

Quality: Craftsmanship of stand is excellent. Welds are beautiful and solid. Stand feels very sturdy.

Price: Great price especially if you get one during their HBT deals. A lot of stand for the price and you'd be hard pressed to find a comparable stand for the price.

Communication: Emails answered same or next day. Excellent customer service. Quick to offer solutions with any problems you may encounter.

Issues I’ve encountered:

I’m not sure how it happened but one burner was a natural gas burner causing a nice fire show. Marcus Promptly replaced it. The replacement was damaged during shipping and I’m awaiting a replacement for the replacement. (Jet burner tips are very fragile apparently). If I did it again I would probably get the banjo burners for durability reasons.

A couple options were forgotten on stand including pump shields, chiller mount, and propane tank holder. A tank holder was mailed promptly. Not too sure what to do about pump shields and chiller mount since those have to be welded on.

Igniters take some time to get used to. They tend to work better with a pot on the stand.

Every good review needs pics so here they are.

Shipping damage:
cimg0615.jpg

cimg0617.jpg

Wrong burner:
cimg0620l.jpg

Burner Damage:
cimg0684u.jpg

And Video

difficulty lighting middle burner

perfect light on first burner

Last edited by a moderator:
So. What's your overall impression? You seem a little disappointed but you also state you think it's a good deal.

What was the total delivered cost with the upgrades, pumps, control panel shipping etc? To what extent is the system automated? I don't see any PID's or similar controllers in the panel box. Is automation an option?

What is that a picture of in picture number 2? Is that a pilot light or a flame where it should not be?

So. What's your overall impression? You seem a little disappointed but you also state you think it's a good deal.

I haven't had the chance to brew with it yet, I'm awaiting the burner replacement to arrive. I’ll write a review on brewing with it once I get it fully operational. Overall it feels like a good quality built stand. I am a little disappointed that it didn't work flawlessly out of the box, but customer service has been good with working out the hiccups I've encountered.

What was the total delivered cost with the upgrades, pumps, control panel shipping etc? To what extent is the system automated? I don't see any PID's or similar controllers in the panel box. Is automation an option?

I don't remember the total off the top of my head, but i bought the stand during one of their specials. so i think i paid $450 for the mild steel stand with free shipping, $450 for automation controls and reg price for pumps, burners, etc. Then i won a free stainless upgrade during that promotion also.

The burners and pumps are automated by switches. Top three are burners and bottom 3 are for pumps with 1 extra switch. No PIDs or full automation. You'd have to contact the company to see if they would do full auto. I was told that my current system would easily integrate into a BCS or brewtroller system, and to call brewers equipment for assistance if i went that route.

What is that a picture of in picture number 2? Is that a pilot light or a flame where it should not be?

The system doesn't have a pilot light, it uses a coil that heats up red hot to light gas. That is a leak between plumbing and auto valve. I noticed a smell of gas so i ran an open flame across all plumbing and found it. I was told it was probably caused by shipping damage. Easily fixed by unscrewing valve and applying some pipe gunk and re-tightening.

The system doesn't have a pilot light, it uses a coil that heats up red hot to light gas. That is a leak between plumbing and auto valve. I noticed a smell of gas so i ran an open flame across all plumbing and found it. I was told it was probably caused by shipping damage. Easily fixed by unscrewing valve and applying some pipe gunk and re-tightening.

Why would you run an open flame across it? That sounds like the LAST thing you'd want to do.....kinda like clearing a minefield by running through it! Why not soap suds?

I don't remember the total off the top of my head, but i bought the stand during one of their specials. so i think i paid $450 for the mild steel stand with free shipping, $450 for automation controls and reg price for pumps, burners, etc. Then i won a free stainless upgrade during that promotion also.

The burners and pumps are automated by switches. Top three are burners and bottom 3 are for pumps with 1 extra switch. No PIDs or full automation. You'd have to contact the company to see if they would do full auto. I was told that my current system would easily integrate into a BCS or brewtroller system, and to call brewers equipment for assistance if i went that route.

Sounds like you got a hot deal with the special sale price and free SS upgrade. I was expecting it to be fully automated Brutus style. So, the Click PLC unit is essentially just a gang of relays that operate the burners, pilots and pumps then? What kettles are you planning to buy?

Why would you run an open flame across it? That sounds like the LAST thing you'd want to do.....kinda like clearing a minefield by running through it! Why not soap suds?

Maybe he wanted to see how good his Medic skills are?

Seriously not a great way to check for leaks in case any of the kids are reading this thread.

Maybe he wanted to see how good his Medic skills are?

Seriously not a great way to check for leaks in case any of the kids are reading this thread.

LOL, you are too right. maybe i should have included a disclaimer of don't try this at home. I was a navy corpsman with the marines, picked up bad habits with them :D . To my defense though I did disconnect the propane and just used residual gas in the line. Had fire extinguisher on standby also.

Soap suds? That's too practical and makes too much sense. Dunno about minefields but we looked for IED's by walking the area they were in.

But seriously kids don't try that at home, its dangerous. (that goes for the mines also)

It works fine for nat gas. Low pressure. I don't know about propane though. You may be tempting fate there.

how was it shipped to you? i noticed on the site they offer free shipping, was it like a freight delivery?

No its shipped by UPS. I think they just open their truck doors, haul butt and slam on the brakes. The box arrived beat up with some damage to the stand.

My only hold up is the SS stand and 3 burners is only 100 dollars less than a blichmann top tier with 3 burners. I feel that the top tier would be more adjustable in the future, but if I'm wrong here, please give me pointers.

Anyone else have experience with this stand? Looking at getting PID or BCS-460 temperature automation features.

Could you please post the dimensions of this stand, especially the size of the burner squares and the two gaps in-between them. I'd like to know if three 20 Gallon MegaPots would fit. Thanks.

I checked out their website and although their product seems nice..it is limited on product images, especially showing add-ons..and they have a very limited description to what comes stock for the price. And in fact I passed over it several times...

Did yours come with casters? Or was that an extra..

I see your's has jet burners..yet I do not see that option on the website...

BTW..in your video it looked like your first attempt at using the pilot it was too far away from the jet burner, where on the next one it appeared alot closer.

It is too bad that it did not come out of box built to your specifications. Do they not use a check list prior to shipping? That has to be frustrating...They seem to lack attention to detail...and that comes through on their website...

Back