Very Basic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I'm just curious. What do you folks who bottle do to ensure proper mixing of your priming solution with your beer? Whether it's DME, sucrose or dextrose (glucose) what other than just allowing a circular motion during racking to bottling bucket do you do? Or is there a hold time related to this. I notice differences between bottles at very early stages of carbonation and I wonder if it's the sugur mixing...

When I bottle I put the sugar solution in the bucket first and then rack the beer on top. The beer swirls around and mixes. I've never had a problem with uneven carbonation. If you are worried, sanitize a big metal spoon and stir it up without splashing.

go slow with it when you get about 6 inches in your bucket stir it a bit , I siphon into the bucket and put the hose in a coil at the bottom of the recieving vessel so it gives a circular motion as it siphons

I have just poured the sugar/water mix on top of the full bottling bucket. I have had decent carb with the last 4 batches. I did not mix those.

The last 2 batches, I poured the priming sugar in first. Then the beer on top. They both worked as well.

I add the sugar solution a little at a time but make sure it's all in there within the first few gallons. I also swirl the the racking hose gently and make sure the beer flow is swirling things up.

I stir gently with a sanitized spoon to make sure everything is well mixed. Before I started doing that, I occasionally had inconsistent carbonation from one bottle to another. Since I started stirring, no more such problems.

I stir gently with a sanitized spoon to make sure everything is well mixed. Before I started doing that, I occasionally had inconsistent carbonation from one bottle to another. Since I started stirring, no more such problems.

I never stir- I just put the priming solution in, and rack the beer into it so that it "swirls" a bit and the tubing is at the bottom, so it fills from the bottom. I've never had a problem so far.

I used to think that swirling during racking was enough but have had batches where the bottles were inconsistently carbonated. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is the priming sugar not mixing evenly with the beer. I'll be joining the stirring crowd in the future to see if it makes a difference.

Tom

Back