New brewer looking for first kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the 2.09 lbs of grain came in one bag. I saved it along with the half packet of yeast

It might be too delicate of an ordeal to deal with it now though, assuming you have 1 gal in your fermentor. If so I'd save it for something else, maybe even the other brew you have there.

I wouldn't want to mess up the 2nd beers recipe by adding other stuff. I don't even know what it's suppose to taste like so I wouldn't know the difference.

But I was hoping that I could make a batch of beer later on with the extra ingredients. Another small 1 gallon batch. All I need are hops

By the way, why do you think it will have more bitterness? Other than the poor execution haha.

What will cause that?

The IBU's are determined by the amount of sugars, volume of water, the amount of hops, and when you added them.

If you didn't use all of the sugars (grains) it'll increase the IBU's as it's not there to balance them.

So if you had a 4 lb bag of extract and X number of hops, and according to the directions it would give you 45 IBU's, it would be something like 50 IBU's if you used only 3.75 lbs. If you added an additional 1/4 lb it might then be 40 IBU's. Same if you adjust the volume of water.

If the ingredients don't go bad quickly, maybe I could wait until I order ingredients from morebeer. How long are they considered fresh or good enough to use for?

I might need to get another carboy. Waiting to start the next batch will kill me

I'm willing to keep them maybe 6 weeks, but it seems a few months is OK.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388914210.730599.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388914251.226759.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388914362.693708.jpg
Didn't know it was so easy to upload photos :)

Looks like dry yeast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Heh. I over think things some times.

I also lowered my temp down from 74-72 to 66-68

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389259083.623733.jpg Maybe it just needs more time? It has stopped bubbling though

It appears to me that you've about bottomed out. It seems to have attenuated quite low. Kinda hard to read, but below 1.010. Right?

Take your OG and subtract your FG reading and multiply that by 131 for the alcohol content.

What was the projected FG?

I didn't take an og reading so I don't have any of that :/

Back