chestnut scotch ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtbagHB

Reaction score
brewed this one up a little while ago
came out quite nicely, very malty and creamy. great head that holds and the lacing ive been hunting for so long. ~4.5%
P10205061.JPG

P1020505.JPG

2.5lbs light roast chestnuts
2.5lbs dark roast chestnuts
2lbs rice flakes
1.5lbs honey
10oz malto before boil
1tsp irish moss @15min
.5oz homegrown cascade at60min

kegged

Did you use any maltodextrin? I could see this being a little dry. Also, what was your mash procedure? Did you do a 24 hour amylase conversion? Looks good though.

its not thin at all. the malto helps with that. it tasted thin before it was kegged, but that was made up after forced carbonation.

heres the opinion of my celiac room mate:
It was rather enjoyable, once it was kegged and carbed it didn't taste watered down at all. I usually prefer a nice dark stout, but seeing as there aren't too many of those available, this does the job quite well.

Oh sorry, I glanced over the recipe quickly and didn't see the maltodextrin. That makes sense. Is there any commercial beer you'd compare it to?

i forgot to add that to the recipe so i took car of that.

i had some fellow homebrewers ( of the gluten variety) over last night for a pint that quickly became 4 or 5. they were quite impressed, as this is my most beery tasting GF beer yet, nudging out the strawberry blonde from last year. ill pick there brains for a comparison. ive been rethinking the clone idea lately and i think im going to brew to just brew. aim for styles but not clones. theres just so much possibility with the GF brew world why muddy it with trying to piggy back on another brews success.

totally agreed on the clone/ style point. i've never brewed a clone. i was just trying to get a sense of the flavor profile

How did you deal with the chestnuts? Did you do a BIAB mash type thing, or just grind 'em up and toss them in the pot for the boil? Fascinating, and I want to try this :)

so, they come from chestnut trails, leeinwa here on the forum. he chips and roasts them. when i get em i take a 5 gal igloo cooler and a large grain nylon grain bag, suspend the bag 2in from the bottom of the with a NRS strap around the top. place my grain in and add 3 gal of water at 5F+ desired temp(140ish) add enxyme mix then wait a few hours add another gal at 170 for a final temp of 165ish. sparge and boil

not really, more so what ever you can find, i cant remember where i got mine, but i acquired some amylase mix made by crosby and baker

Back