Starter contamination???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
Hoping that I'm being paranoid, but need honest input. Thing is that I have small kids and don't get to brew much --- only when long-suffering wife gives the okay - so I'm brewing a big beer this Friday and decided to make a starter tonite.

All was going well until I went to pitch the WLP yeast into the flask --- I hadn't shaken it (!!!!) so most of the good stuff was on the bottom of the bottle and wouldn't budge. So, I quickly sanitized my beer thief to get some of the wort out of the flask in order to extract the yeast from the bottle and pitch. This would have been fine except that the thief wiped against our dish-drainer. I did dunk it back into the sanitizing solution for about 30 seconds or so (StarSan) before using it to extract and dump the wort into the WLP bottle --- not sure that was long enough to ensure it was sanitized again.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

It's probably fine. I've done similar things many times. As long as it went back into star san...

I've seen some pretty nasty looking fermenting equipment produce great beers, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Most of the guys with the nasty stuff don't know what StarSan is, or a bar of soap for that matter.

You're very stressed out right now, that much is obvious. Just take a deep breath...Calm down. Your beer will be ok.

All. Sincere thanks - took a look before heading out and looks healthy.

You are good people.

Back