Haier 7.1 cu ft freezer for $175 at Costco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw a stack of these in my local Walmart for $168 each. I think I am heading back in the morning to pick one up to use as a fermentation chamber (and finally convert my existing fermentation chamber over to a keezer)

Nice! They had them in my Walmart for $144. I waited a few days and went back and they were all gone! I checked three other local Walmarts and none. :mad:

Going to check another today.

Found this model at Brandsmart USA for 169.00. Pretty good deal if you live in Georgia or Florida and are close to one.

Also, I didn't see a response the question about half barrel kegs. This model won't fit them. It's tall enough and wide enough but lacks the depth. Hope that helps if anyone is still considering that as a factor in their purchase.

I'll try to post some pictures of my build. Still in the design phase right now, but the parts are all here and the temp controller is working beautifully (went with an STC-1000 in a project box.)

If anyone has any tips on building a coffin top on this bad boy I'd love to hear.

I recently put a couple of 12mm case fans in mine. They really equalize the temp from top to bottom. The ice forming on the side at the bottom disappeared within a couple days. Now I can set the temperature lower without stuff on the bottom freezing. You probably only need one but I put in two in case one failed.

I recently put a couple of 12mm case fans in mine. They really equalize the temp from top to bottom. The ice forming on the side at the bottom disappeared within a couple days. Now I can set the temperature lower without stuff on the bottom freezing. You probably only need one but I put in two in case one failed.

What did you hook the case fans to for power? Just an ac adapter? Any recommendations?

I mounted an outlet box inside mine with a duplex outlet. One outlet is wired to always on and I plug a wall wart into it to power my fan. The other outlet is for a heater and is switched by an externally mounted STC-1000

I mounted an outlet box inside mine with a duplex outlet. One outlet is wired to always on and I plug a wall wart into it to power my fan. The other outlet is for a heater and is switched by an externally mounted STC-1000

You aren't worried about having a 110V outlet in such a humid environment?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

What did you hook the case fans to for power? Just an ac adapter? Any recommendations?
I had a bunch of low voltage dc wall wart adapters laying around and used a couple of those, one for each fan. I cut off the dc plug and connected them to the fans with some heat-shrink tubing. A little on the lame side, but they are working fine. They are 12cm case fans not mm, as I originally posted, btw. You can also buy a 120v version on amazon, just search for muffin fan, less than $20 if I remember.

Just picked this up yesterday at Sam's for 179.

When you say 4 fit tight on the floor, you guys aren't kidding. It has to be wedged in there. (Ball locks)
It even slightly dents the wall of the freezer but shouldn't be an issue.

Just picked this up yesterday at Sam's for 179.

When you say 4 fit tight on the floor, you guys aren't kidding. It has to be wedged in there. (Ball locks)
It even slightly dents the wall of the freezer but shouldn't be an issue.
Was the one you got the new Haier HF71CL53NW model? If so, it still fits 3 kegs without a collar?

Does anyone who has this know if I could squeeze 4 pin locks in there if I use a collar? Would it take 3 on the bottom and one on the hump or is it too tight?

Does anyone who has this know if I could squeeze 4 pin locks in there if I use a collar? Would it take 3 on the bottom and one on the hump or is it too tight?

It's tight, but I can fit 4 ball-lock (8 inch diameter) kegs on the floor of this freezer. And with a tall enough collar, another one on the hump.

I have no doubt that you could fit 3 pin-lock (9 inch diameter) kegs on the floor, and another pin-lock on the hump with a tall enough collar.

I have one and fit 4 5g cornys on the floor, and a 3g corny plus my 10 lb tank on the compressor shelf. Maybe that's been mentioned but I don't have time to read through all the posts.

I'm gonna build with high enough collar to get 3 pin locks on the floor and a 4th on the hump ... That way 3 brews on tap at any time and 1 carbing or doing a cold crash or lager in another 4th keg..

I was just at Costco during lunch and saw that they have replaced the Haier freezer with a 7.2 cu ft one from HiSense. It was $109 after a $30 instant rebate. If I needed a new one, I would be all over that.

Back