split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrunner

Reaction score
ok, i am about to bottle batch #2, an oatmeal stout kit from midwest. I am thinking that the standard 5 oz of priming sugar might be a bit more than i want, so i will probably only add about 3/4 of that. Now i am wondering about adding say coffee or vanilla or something to half or so of the batch. just kinda want to experiment a bit. any suggestions? what to add and how much for half a batch? thanks:mug:

nick

I usually do this in the bottling bucket if it's a "chemical" flavoring. I.E. I recently brewed a BB Weizenbier kit and I bottled half the bottling bucket as straight Weizenbier and then I added the Blueberry beer flavoring "chemical" to the remainder in the bottling bucket. I don't know how you would do this with coffee unless you used ground fresh coffee in a muslin/grain bag. The Vanilla would be easy. The nice thing about doing it this way is you can add the flavoring, sample, add more if needed, sample, etc. until you get it right.

Some people don't like using the beer flavoring "chemicals" but that is another discussion! :)

Coffee goes well in stouts. So does cherry or rasberry. Any tart fruit flavor. Do not add anything that has sugar.

couldn't you just add some brewed coffee in the bottling bucket? anything else that would go good with the oatmeal stout besides coffee or vanilla? maybe i'll split it three ways. or maybe 1/4 regular, then 1/4 with vanilla, then 1/4 with the vanilla plus coffee, then 1/4 with vanilla and coffee plus a little bourbon.

Back