Coopers kit instructions - LDME & Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I have a can of Coopers IPA and it says the following:

Use with 500g Light Dry Malt + 300g Dextrose.

But I'm not sure exactly when. Should I add both to the water, boil, then add the can contents? Isn't it odd to split LDME and sugar into two separate things to add?

I guess the Coopers is pre-hopped. You can't go wrong with this. Heat your water and soak the can in hot water in the sink. It is super thick and easier to pour if it is heated.

Remove your pot from the heat and add everything. You don't want to scorch it. Stir until it is dissolved and then bring to a boil.

WATCH OUT FOR BOIL OVER !!

Boil for an hour, chill and pitch yeast. Very easy.

(watch out for the boil over)

my local shop recommends that you skip the dextrose and just use 2 lbs of DME

i've done it, and think its got a better taste

I went with a kilo of raw sugar (2.2lb sucrose). It makes a thinner higher alcohol beer due to being almost entirely fermentable. This is often frowned upon due to missing out on the 'maltiness' of the unfermentable bits in malt extracts.

I was also a little dissapointed in the hoppiness of the IPA and dry-hopped an ounce of amarillo. Best decision ever.

WHOOPS: didn't even check, but this thread seems well dead.

Back