Using a 6 gallon secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
I am in the process of adding some new equipment that I found on CL. Part of the package is two 6 gallon carboys. Currently I'm brewing 5 gallon batches and have a 6.5 gallon primary and 5 gallon secondary.

Is there going to be any problem with using one of the 6 gallons as a secondary, since there's more space for air?

(I ran a search but couldn't find anything)

No, that's fine.

Fermentation will push all the air out and you'll have a nice CO2 blanket like always...

Possibly some will worry about oxidization.
I'm not terribly worried about that as I sometimes secondary in a 6 gal BB.

If you move it to secondary after 7 days or so you'll probably still have enough activity to replace your co2 blanket.
You could add co2 directly if you keg or have co2 for something else.
You could just not worry.

Possibly some will worry about oxidization.
I'm not terribly worried about that as I sometimes secondary in a 6 gal BB.

If you move it to secondary after 7 days or so you'll probably still have enough activity to replace your co2 blanket.
You could add co2 directly if you keg or have co2 for something else.
You could just not worry.

That's what I'll end up doing. But I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

No, that's fine.

Fermentation will push all the air out and you'll have a nice CO2 blanket like always...

Most people wait until fermentation is complete before moving to secondary. It is more of a clearing tank than a place for more fermentation to occur.

I think you'll still be fine since the fermentation did add some co2 to your solution and it will fall out and create a new layer, but if you're paranoid of oxidation, I would go ahead and blow some in there with a tank or something.

Most people wait until fermentation is complete before moving to secondary. It is more of a clearing tank than a place for more fermentation to occur.

Even so, unless the yeast is dead, there'll be enough going on in there to make more than enough CO2 to displace the air in the headspace. RDWHAHB :mug:

Back