Help me with tasting terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polecat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've gotten into my first batch of porter (extract kit from Williams). It tastes good, but my husband and I are comparing it against other porters in an attempt to make the next batch great.

We both came up with the same description - it starts with a nice roasty sweet flavor, then goes to a 'watery' flavor, and finishes with a nice earthy aftertaste. It's just a little thin in the middle. It's not objectionable, just not perfection.

If I could just get a term for what I'm tasting, I can do the research and make adjustments.

What do you think? Is there a name for this?

As far as describing the beer you're doing just fine. Roasted, watery, thin, earthy... all great descriptors.

I've had a few beers that were thin and really lacking in the mid palate, come to think of it they were extract kits as well. My solution was to make bigger beers.

Something I've been doing lately is adding 1/4 cup maltodextrin with 15 minutes left in the boil. This really seems to help with body and head retention.

For flavor, steeping some Crystal/Caramel specialty grains before the boil can really help fill in the gaps in flavor. Just pick a roast level that's appropriate for the beer you're making. 10L = Light Gold, 60L = dark amber. 2lb 60L would work just fine in a porter.

Good luck to ya - hope this helps some.

X2 for a low abv. Gets some more booze in your brew and it could taste like dirt and it wont matter. Of course I am joking, but a higher abv does improve things.

Thanks all - it's 3.5% ABV, so that's probably the culprit in my watery middle.

<Makes notes in brewbook for 2lbs caramel grains and 1/4 cup maltodextrin>

Thanks for all your help!

Latest posts

Back