Is red wheat malt the same as dark wheat malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
AHS sells white wheat malt and red wheat malt. My Dunkelweizen recipe calls for Dark Wheat Malt. Is that the red wheat malt then? they have nothing listed as dark wheat malt. thanks.

I think that is what you are looking for. I think that "red" and "white" distinctions are not always used correctly and have to do with the variety or class of the wheat but are sometimes used to describe the color level of the wheat malt. At least I have never seen any information from maltsters that would indicate they are using different varieties/classes of wheat to make different Lovibond malt.

Weyerman makes both a pale and dark. It seems the color rating for the Weyerman dark wheat malt matches exactly to what AHS sells as 'red wheat'. So I think that is what you are looking for (Where as I think their 'white wheat' is domestic). You could ask them who the maltster is, but this is the wheat I used in my weizen bock and it worked out well.

So - I had this very problem today. I'm curious myself and almost wonder if the OP is brewing Jamil's Dunkle.

I have white wheat I'm going to use. I'm considering toasting it in my oven to increase the lovibond from 2.4 to 9.

suggestions on oven temp and time?

Back