Ray Daniels and Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
I was flipping through my 'Designing Great Beers' book by Ray Daniels and thinking about making an amber ale.

I couldn't find any description of the style. This got me wondering if the 'Amber Ale' is a bastardized version of other beers and was created recently in America.

I see on bjcp.org that there are categories for 'light hybrid' and 'Amber Hybrid', but none of their links are working.

Any info on the style?

"Amber Ale" is a sub-category of "American Ale", and covers what are called 'red ales' as well

From "Brewing Classic Styles"

1.045-1.060 OG
1.010-1.015 FG
25-40 IBUs
10-17 SRM
4.5-6.2 ABV

This is one category that is rarely adhered to- a lot of hoppy red ales that would most likely fall in this category have much higher OG and IBUs

Cool, thanks! I wonder why American Ales aren't covered by Daniels?

Now, does anyone have a great Amber recipe? I do partial mashes, but I can convert the recipe if the one you have is all grain.

Cool, thanks! I wonder why American Ales aren't covered by Daniels?

Now, does anyone have a great Amber recipe? I do partial mashes, but I can convert the recipe if the one you have is all grain.

American ales are covered by Daniels alongside their English counterparts.

I've seen American Pale Ales covered next to their English counterparts, but I have yet to see a reference to an Amber or Red ale.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot.

Back