yet another tale of woe from a new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedevilsfan

Reaction score
Yes, another did I ruin my beer. Maybe a new one for you.
When I was trying to siphon my beer into the bottling bucket. I have one of those kind you blow into. The problem is the air filter was clogged and I couldn't get the beer to flow. Long story short, I had to take the filter off and had to blow directly into the carboy. I never was able to get a constant flow of beer, so I had to blow into the carboy maybe 15 times. So we are talking air bubbles, my Co2 in the beer etc.
I bottled it anyway.
How bad should I expect this beer to be?
Thanks in advance.
Michael

Fast is a relative term. It already had alcohol. Most of the fermentable sugars were already consumed. The risk of infection is lower than if you did that with fresh wort. If it got infected, it might start to sour around the second or third month.

Fast is a relative term. It already had alcohol. Most of the fermentable sugars were already consumed. The risk of infection is lower than if you did that with fresh wort. If it got infected, it might start to sour around the second or third month.

Bacteria will work on sugars and things yeast will not. It's not hard to infect an already fermented beer with lactobacillus, etc.

I'm not sure if this matters, but the beer fermented an extra 2 days.
How fast is fast to drink it?
thanks for the help.

I always tell people, if you don't have an auto siphon there is another way that doesn't include using your mouth!

Fill the hose with water and hold a finger or thumb over each end, remove one of your fingers from one end and stick it into the fermenter, and stick the other end into your bottling bucket, then remove your finger or thumb from that end. This will create a siphon. Yes you will have a couple ounces of water but it shouldn't be noticeable, if it bothers you, use a cup to catch the first few ounces then quickly aim the hose into the bottling bucket.

I always tell people, if you don't have an auto siphon there is another way that doesn't include using your mouth!

Fill the hose with water and hold a finger or thumb over each end, remove one of your fingers from one end and stick it into the fermenter, and stick the other end into your bottling bucket, then remove your finger or thumb from that end. This will create a siphon. Yes you will have a couple ounces of water but it shouldn't be noticeable, if it bothers you, use a cup to catch the first few ounces then quickly aim the hose into the bottling bucket.

I've used the method with star-san, then I know the liquid is sanitary!

Is there a good reason that people don't like autosiphons? I don't know, for $10, it seems crazy to me to mess with anything other than an autosiphon. I could understand if they were $30 or something, but dang, $10 for an autosiphon sure seems to save a lot of headache and worry for me.

I've always used an auto siphon and its great for when I need to rack to the fermenter or keg.

Are you going by a recipe that says something like "Let sit in primary for 7 days"? If so, I would also suggest you get a hydrometer (after you get the autosyphon) and use that to determine when fermentation is complete.

Yes the recipe called for 14 days in the carboy and and 14 days in the bottles.
It sat in the carboy 16 days.
I have a hygrometer and the final gravity is 5.5% . The projected abv. was 5.3

Beer turned out amazing. Doesn't seem to have been infected. This is my first and it really surprised me. We blind tasted it against a Breckenridge stout and we chose ours.
Operation: Deep End stout.

stock-illustration-12846928-blank-beer-label.jpg

P1060526.jpg

Back