How long to lager my Altbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A7teck

Reaction score
I've got an altbier that's been in the fermentor for 10 days. We put in the fridge yesterday (about 40 degrees). How long should I leave it in there? I think I've read 2 days but not sure.

Thanks,
Rob

I've got an altbier that's been in the fermentor for 10 days. We put in the fridge yesterday (about 40 degrees). How long should I leave it in there? I think I've read 2 days but not sure.

Thanks,
Rob

Sounds like you are confusing cold crashing and lagering.

Go ahead and leave it in the fridge for 2 days, rack it, then do it for another 4 weeks.

Ah, definitely confused cold crashing with lagering. Since its already in the fridge I'll let it sit for the full 48 hours then rack. If anything I've learned to read up more on the style of beer I'm making BEFORE I make it. I'm not sure if I completely understand the significance of the lagering process with this beer- other than that it clears the composition. Is there a taste difference?

I make my Alt the same way I make my Kolsch. I rack it to the secondary, then cold crash it for 40 days.

I make my Alt the same way I make my Kolsch. I rack it to the secondary, then cold crash it for 40 days.

That's a confusing statement(to me). It only takes a day or two to cold crash an ale, especially at lager temps. I'm lagering my alt for a month to smooth it out a bit. Keeping it at 37f with a maibock and dopplebock.

Not trying to start a debate, just figuring out word usage.:mug:

That's a confusing statement(to me). It only takes a day or two to cold crash an ale, especially at lager temps. I'm lagering my alt for a month to smooth it out a bit. Keeping it at 37f with a maibock and dopplebock.

Not trying to start a debate, just figuring out word usage.:mug:

After I rack either an Alt or a Kolsch to a secondary, I let it sit for one week at cellar temp (in my house, about 60f), then I pop it into my beer fridge for 40 days, at about 40f. Sorry for the confusion.

Most breweries in Duesseldorf and Cologne only lager for about two weeks these days. I usually go ten days at <40 deg F for my homebrewed versions along with gelatin finings, with speeds up the clarification process.

Most breweries in Duesseldorf and Cologne only lager for about two weeks these days. I usually go ten days at <40 deg F for my homebrewed versions along with gelatin finings, with speeds up the clarification process.

Yes but they have cool things like a house yeast strain, whirlpools etc.

This beer benefits GREATLY from at least 6 weeks lagering

Back