Sick of Winter Already...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
And, really, winter is yet to officially start.
The last couple of winters have been exceptionally crummy, even for Northern Illinois. I can't remember the last time it was above freezing - Thanksgiving maybe. That's okay really, but if the temps are vaguely "warm", then it's been snowing, sleeting, or freezing rain; if it's sunny it struggles to get out of the teens. The other day it was sunny and about 25 degrees - felt downright balmy. Guess the news said last night we've already gotten 25 inches of snow this year. Today we're under a blizzard warning with temps not even getting above zero. With the wind, it's over 30 below. Global warming my butt... I feel for those further to the North. I was going to run to town to get some parts to fix the sink, but with 15 miles of county roads and white-out conditions between here and the nearest hardware store, the bucket can sit under the sink for another day; I already had to drive home in that last night...
Well, I'm just whining, At least after tomorrow, the days start getting longer - spring is just around the corner! Right...?

Chris

NO WAY! It just started to snow here!

The local ski resort just opened last week, and we are expecting 5-10 inches of snow in Boise tonight!

WAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We've been having an insane winter. Neither HWMBO nor I have 4wd, so we're snowed in due to our road being a 3" thick sheet of ice and snow. We're going a little stir crazy stuck in the house and have been hoping that it would melt. Overnight we got about 6" of snow, and it's coming down thick again. I'm trying to work out getting ingredients for Christmas Eve dinner, and it's either con HWMBO's dad into chauffeuring me around or take a few trips on the bus. I imagine that work will be closed AGAIN, so that's a total of 3-4 days that I haven't been in. Ugh.

WESTERN WASHINGTON IS SUPPOSED TO BE 40º AND RAINY, NOT 10º AND SNOWING!!!!

And, really, winter is yet to officially start.
The last couple of winters have been exceptionally crummy, even for Northern Illinois. I can't remember the last time it was above freezing - Thanksgiving maybe. That's okay really, but if the temps are vaguely "warm", then it's been snowing, sleeting, or freezing rain; if it's sunny it struggles to get out of the teens. The other day it was sunny and about 25 degrees - felt downright balmy. Guess the news said last night we've already gotten 25 inches of snow this year. Today we're under a blizzard warning with temps not even getting above zero. With the wind, it's over 30 below. Global warming my butt... I feel for those further to the North. I was going to run to town to get some parts to fix the sink, but with 15 miles of county roads and white-out conditions between here and the nearest hardware store, the bucket can sit under the sink for another day; I already had to drive home in that last night...
Well, I'm just whining, At least after tomorrow, the days start getting longer - spring is just around the corner! Right...?

Chris

No friggin' way we've gotten anywhere near 25" of snow already. And certainly now where near that remaining on the ground. I'd say at max., right now we hava about 8" of snow accumlation.

However, the last couple of days have been colder than 2 norwegian well-diggers a$$holes. Last night we had an nice -30° with windchill. Mmmm, toasty.

Well it must be my turn to experience global warming. Up until today we have been getting rain for the most part. A lot of temps over the freezing mark, getting up to 17c a few days ago.
Today saw 10Cm of snow with high wind. A bugger to drive in, but nowhere near a blizzard. This year I actually get a couple of days in a row off work christmas. Woo Hoo.
If it don't snow, I'll be home for christmas.... got a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock tucked away for christmas Eve.

got a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock tucked away for christmas Eve.

You can get Sam Adams in Nfld?

It's been crazy cold here. There's an arctic low hanging over the entire prairie region. I've been waking up to -30º every morning for weeks now. We have lots of snow, but we're well equipped to deal with that. It's the damn incessant cold that getting to me. We shouldn't be getting that until January and February. Just because we're getting it now doesn't mean we won't get it then too. :(

*edit* Hey! I just checked the weather and in a few days we'll be back to normal.

We got our first days below 50* F last week. bbrrr HAHA. I apologize for having to rub it in.

Yeah, and in July when you can't even go outside or you'll automatically burst into flames, then I'm just going to remind you of this little post ... ;)

It only takes 20 mins to bring 12-14 galons to a boil in July. I already have umbrellas on the stand, by next year I should have misters also. In July my main ***** the difficulties in cooling the same 12-14 gallons to pitching temperature, hence the invention of my Hell On Earth wort chiller. :)

Back