lighting dimmers for element control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my Electric Kettle using a Simmerstat to control power to my element. The following are pictures of my upgraded version.

If anyone has questions I would be happy to answer them.

TD

iD7101D7E-AB6A-4574-B23E-1D6D5B64AFB2.jpg

iD96B1993-3426-4C71-9581-77E216F4D644.jpg

I am putting together a parts list with suppliers of what it took to build my Electric Kettles. If any one is interested let me know and I will send it to you. I will also try and put to together a "How To" on building your Kettle.

Let Me Know
TD

I'm curious. Between you and Pol I may end up with an electric brewery before the weather gets nice.

I just ordered my PID, SSR, Heatsink and K type thermocouple today. The only parts that are not here or on order are the junction box and the distribution block.

I have the equipment list done and will work on the instruction of building the Electric Kettle this weekend.

TD

can someone reasure me that if a water heater element is converted from 220 to 110, the wattage of that element changes? rather than just raise the amperage needed for 110? it seems like i've seen a few setups like that, but my boss was arguing that if a 5500 watt water heater element were converted to 110, the wattage would stay the same, u would just trip the breaker

Nope. The wattage is based on the constant resistance of the element. If you change the voltage, you change the wattage. Drop the voltage in half, and the power drops to a quarter.

P=E^2 x R

If R is constant and you decrease E (voltage) power will go down considerably more.

Just to add my 5 cents; that equation should be P=E^2/R. An R is roughly (but not exactly) constant; all metals increase their resistance with temperature; although the effect is small at low temperatures (less than 2% for nichrome at 100 Centigrade).

To sum up, if E (voltage) is decreased by a factor K, then the power is decreased as K^2; (ignoring the change in resistance).

Back