Fermentation Temperature Chart By Style/Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does this exist anywhere??

I think that would be a huge huge help for folks (myself included) if there was a simple chart that basically said, "if you're making a Saison, and you're using one of these four yeasts, you should ferment at 75 for two days, then 80 for two days, 85 for two days and 90 for another week and a half)"

"For lagers using these five yeasts, ferment at 50 for x days, raise to 68 for two days, then drop to 38 for six weeks"

Etc etc

But it could easily be done in a simple chart instead of narrative like I have it above.

Has anyone ever seen something like this??? I realize x temp for x days isn't always an exact science at all depending on what kind activity you have going on but a guide to start off with would be a huge plus for a lot of people I think.

Make one up but I will tell you that there is going to be a HUGE discrepency about what yeasts work well at what temps for what beers. It would be impossible to accurately do this. However, you could use a temperature range, which I'm sure knowledgable people could agree on. :mug:

Maybe something like this? I have never seen any that tell you how many days and such. I'd stick to the "1.5 week" minimum primary, then depending on the style it goes from there. :mug:

Ask your LHBS if he has either of the yeast labs strain guide posters (or both). I have both the White Labs and Wyeast posters which give all the information you'd need except how long.

Most LHBS get them to give out as hand outs.

Now what I'd like is a poster for all the available Dry Yeast strains with the same information.

Ask your LHBS if he has either of the yeast labs strain guide posters (or both). I have both the White Labs and Wyeast posters which give all the information you'd need except how long.

Most LHBS get them to give out as hand outs.
QUOTE]

yup... I know exactly the ones you're talking about... I didn't realize they listed out the temps. I guess I'm more curious about the different stages of fermentation and temp changes you should be making.

After... I dunno... 60 batches?? I made my FIRST lager (don't have a good explaination why it took that long) and I had no idea on the fermentation schedule.

I've never made a Saison and the recipes I have never seem to really give a lot of info on how to ferment at the right temps.

I'm in the camp that says " keep the temp steady" a d-rest for lagers is OK but ales need to be steady. Pick a temp and go with it.

This is directly copied from Wyeast web page. I pasted this time to be sure.

This versatile yeast ferments extremely well in dark worts. It is a good choice for most high gravity beers. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce a dry, crisp profile with subtle fruitiness. Fruit and complex esters will increase when fermentation temperatures are above 64°F (18°C).

Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 62-72F, 16-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

So if sounds like you want to keep the temp between 62 and 64 if you want less complex esters and fruit. So it is a very specific description.

Can we assume that keeping with in the recommend Temp Range, the high end produces more esters in all cases with all yeast strains?

How about other flavors? Maybe it would help to know that bit of information. Probably already known by many of your experts. I am still trying to figure this stuff out. The fun or brewing.

Well, I was gonna make a comment about bringing a post back from the dead, but I'd not seen that link to the BYO yeast guide before, so I guess good find :D.

Anyways, for your question, esters are really complicated. In general I suppose you could say that a higher temp would lead to more esters, everything else being the same. But high gravity worts, under/over pitching, poor aeration, and lots of other things can also lead to esters. Higher temps can also lead to things like fusel alcohols and other off-flavors though, so it gets kind of yeast dependent.

The specific ester you get is also going to change depending on yeast type. Some are tasty (hefe-banana, belgian-fruity), some not so much. At least for the Belgian yeast strains, Whitelabs has a nice chart detailing the different esters that are given off at different fermenting temps.

Latest posts

Back