What the hell? My carboy is scratched/cracked? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
So I was cleaning my primary today after racking to secondary, and I found what looks to be a scratch or a crack. What is this? Is it something to worry about?

If it's a crack, you'll have to dispose of it. You don't want it coming apart while it's full of wort.

its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks more like a scratch on the outside. If its just a small scratch on the outside you shouldnt have to worry about it harboring bacteria. it could be a stress point that might lead to a crack, but I dont thinks its very likely. just be careful to not stress the carboy too much, try not to bump it, pour boiling water in it, or slide it on the floor (Ive scratched mine by sliding it on the floor when theres some dirt between it and the floor)

That looks like a scratch all the way, if was crack you would be able to see some depth to it.

I can't see the first pic, but the second one looks just like a scratch. It should be alright.

Back