Spring/Summer - What are you going to be drinking/brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
I try to brew a beer per month, at the least, and plan them somewhat seasonly, which is what a lot of y'all seem to do (i went to school in GA, im trying to get away with that y'all). Since Spring in Chicago can be pretty chilly still, I've got an Amarillo IIPA, an American Amber on the way, and a Porter. For summer its looking like I'll be drinking AHS's Rye Pale Ale, an ESB, and then a Summer Wheat I've yet to formulate the recipe for.

Tomorrow Evening: American Wheat
Next Friday/Saturday: Spring Forward Pale Ale (formerly Ben's Backyard Pale Ale)
Two Weeks: ??? Brown Ale

I've only brewed up one batch, but my Pale Ale turned out soooo good I'm doing it again next week and it may just turn into my staple brew. It's such an easy recipe and it goes down smooth, and has a great bouquet of hops! Tomorrow I'm cooking up an American Wheat with a splash of mandarin orange peels thrown in for fun. If it turns out good, it may not last till summer...but I'll for sure be brewing up another batch. Cheers!

I'm going to be bottling a nice lager, a Pale Ale, an IPA, and an ESB this weekend. That'll be what I'm drinking for the spring. Not going to be doing to much brewing the next couple of months because I'm just getting over pneumonia and I'm way behind on my drinking - stacks of beer everywhere.

I'll probably do another Lager and try to go lighter so I have a good Lawnmower beer, and other than that the only thing I've got planned to brew right now is I'd kind of like to brew a good wheat beer before it gets to warm this summer, you know have something tastey for hot days at the lake.

Hops prices being what they are (and my rhizomes still in the mail, I guess), I am thinking of making something like a Sam Adams White Ale next.

I'm back to brewing every two weeks to fill up my Keezer before the heat of summer kicks in here in Austin. Brewed so far are.

2 Cornies IPA
2 Cornies Robust Porter
1 Corny German/American Imperial Stout
3 Cornies Apfelwein
2 Cornies Haus Pale

On Deck is Bavarian Hefeweizen, Haus Pale, Oktoberfest, and Kolsch over the next 6 weeks.

Here is what I have already brewed (all 5 gallons):
Berliner Weisse
American Pale (Dude's Lake Walk Pale)
German Pilsner
IIPA (started drinking this)
Munich Helles (started drinking this)

Planning:
Mild
Kolsch
Wit

It is not much fun to brew in the depths of summer here so I am going to probably take a couple months off. I should have enough to last me.

I have been busy so far this year as well:
Wyld Blue Yonder Blueberry Wheat Ale
Honey Do II Blonde Ale
Gator Snout Stout
Gizmo Ordinary Bitter
Last Minute IPA
El Jefe Weizen
Wyld Hare Weizenbock
and brewing an as yet un-named Brown ale tomorrow night.
I am trying to get as much into bottles as I can prior to the 90F+ temps that are right around the corner here. Then it's time to build a "Son of Fermentation Chiller" so I can brew all summer!!!!!

Well, I have an all vienna ale that is ready to be drank at any time, but I am trying to finish off the last of a couple of other kegs before getting into that one. Then I have a killer Cali Common beer that is hard to keep my hands off of. I have been successful so far, but this is one of those beers that tastes fantastic out of the carboy when it is warm and flat, I cant wait to taste it chilled and carbed. Then behind that, I have a Kolsch and a Altbier. As soon as my basement warms up I am going to brew a weizen and a white beer. That should honestly probably be good for most of the summer. So, after I brew the weizen and white beer, I am probably going to brew some strong belgian beers that I can let condition until fall.

Pretty much a little of everything but likely with a bit more emphasis on the pilsner/kolsch/hefe. I have currently planned or in the process for the next few:

dry stout
dead guy inspired ale
ESB
abbey doubbel
a pepper/chocolate porter
pilsner

Well I have Yooper's Rogue Dead Guy Clone in primary right now...

My Ginger Orange Dortmunder was such a hit with my friends and especially my GF (She even used a bottle of it in a Rennaisance Style Lamb and Ale dish she made from the book Shakespear's Kitchen that came out awsome) that I've got to brew up a batch soon, to have it ready for warm weather.

I have an AIPA in primary now, brewed it last weekend with the grain bill from a planned Classic American Pilsener team-brew that fell through. At 6 SRM and 54 IBU it should be a nice surprise!

Tomorrow I think I'll brew a smoked American wheat session beer - something I've been considering for a while. Right now I want a batch that will ferment and condition quickly, and I think this will be great for the early summer grilling sessions. 3.5 lbs smoked malt, 3 lbs wheat malt and 1 lb pale 2-row with some Centennial at 60 and 0.

After that, I've been thinking about American Stout and American Amber styles. But who knows?

I've got nine sour beers going now, all my carboys(need to buy more obviously), and some of them should be ready in the next couple months.
Berliner Weisse
pLambic(1)
pLambic(2)
Bourbon Brett Quad w/cherries
Flanders(1)
Flanders(2)
Oud Bruin
Sour Saison w/pinot noir
Leap Year Sour
Quad w/Brett

The Berliner, Quad w/Brett, and both Flanders should be ready in a couple months for bottling. Then I'll brew some non-sours; IPA, Doppelbock, Saison are the plan so far.

I've got a Kolsch conditioning right now that should go into bottles in a few weeks. I'm looking a throwing together something quick in the next week or so, maybe a pale ale.

Lets see here, More Old Town Steam,Clemson 55's IIPA, Biermuchers Blonde Hefe, Hefe, and more Hefe Wish I had more money for this.:cross:

I've got 5 lagers in various stages and want to do one more before it gets too warm. Then I start my spring/summer ales. I'm planning an Alt, a Kolsch, 2 wheats, an IPA and an APA and probably one experimental.

I have 4 cases of IPA bottled and conditioning for spring/summer consumption.

I'll do an American Wheat (SWMBO wants something she can put a lemon slice in) sometime in April for drinking in June and July.

I'll also do a nice Mild and a light APA in April or May for late summer drinking.

But my next beer will be a Robust Porter. I'm getting ahead of the curve on this one so it will be aged and ready for consumption by the end of summer, early fall.

I've already brewed my 2008 Christmas Ale (see sig). Its conditioning in the secondary right now.

this thread makes me thirsty.
and makes me wish I had more carboys and some kegs for storage, then id brew way more than once a month.

I really would like to do a blueberry wheat for a party this summer. For the blueberry, what would some of you recommend? I've heard different things on puree vs. extract vs. artificial flavoring. Anyone had a successful one?

Last week I brewed a saison that's going to be for Memorial Day. Very excited about that one. Tomorrow my dad's gonna try the Belgian-American IPA from Radical Brewing. I'm excited for that one too.

Otherwise, I don't have any definite plans. I'll have lagering capabilities, so I definitely want to try my hand at that. The trouble is, I can't make up my mind!

Latest posts

Back