Why the uneven carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I have been drinking my reds for a few weeks now. I can open one bottle and the carbonation is perfect. Another will be low but not flat and then another will not stop flowing out of the bottle once its open. Any theories? All the beers taste the same, delicious. :) But I really don't think its infection. This has happened before but not to this degree. Thanks as always..

Assuming you're using a batch priming there are a couple possibilities as I see it. One being that when you move the beer over it's not mixing real well, feel free to give it a cautious swirl to get it all even, particularly if your priming sugar is a bit different temp than the beer when you mix them. Another if you use the swing top bottles like me is to take a look at the gaskets, they wear out and some let a little carb out. The later won't cover for the over carbed ones, but it is an explanation for the inconsistency.

Failing all the above you might try using some of those carb drops, if it's still inconsistent then it's something with your bottle seals/caps. It could give you a start at least. Best of luck.

Forgot to mention that. I am mixing in the bottling bucket. Im using regular bottles and do give it a pretty hefty swirl. I get the sugar down to around 71 and the beer is around 67 or 68. Its not a problem with this batch but in the past it has been. Thanks for the feedback Brew and Homebeer

Try putting the priming sugar in the bottling bucket first, then rack the beer into it. If you position the tubing so that it creates a swirling motion, all the sugar should be mixed evenly.

Thats what I do. Except when you're an idiot and forget that you only have 3 fermenters and you are doing a 4th so you have to rack your beer to a bottling bucket the day before since you don't have your bottles ready.

I have had this problem a couple of times. Someone suggested that I boil 2 cups of water and add dextrose. Bring to room temp and put the liquid in to your racking bucket. Make sure you give it a good stir to mix everything properly. I have not personally tried it yet, it was recommended to me. I would love to hear feed back though.

1stTimer said:
I have been drinking my reds for a few weeks now. I can open one bottle and the carbonation is perfect. Another will be low but not flat and then another will not stop flowing out of the bottle once its open. Any theories? All the beers taste the same, delicious. :) But I really don't think its infection. This has happened before but not to this degree. Thanks as always..

How long have they been in the bottle? I had that exact problem and it went away with age. Revvy told me this, seems to make sense and that batch is now perfectly carbonated:

Revvy said:
Nope. more than likely the fact that some gushed and some were under is really just because they're just on the cusp of being ready.

Inconsistant carbonation, usually simply means that they are not ready yet. If you had opened them a week later, or even two, you never would have noticed. Each one is it's own little microcosm, and although generally the should come up at the same time, it's not an automatic switch, and they all pop on.

A tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

If you watch Poindexter's video on time lapsed carbonation, you will see that in many instances, before a beer is carbed it my gush, that's not from infection, or mixing of sugars, but because the co2 hasn't evened out- it hasn't been pulled fully into the beer. Think of it as there's a lot of co2 being generated and most of it is in the headspace, not in the beer, so there's still "over pressure" in the bottle, so it gushes when it is opened.

But when the beer is truly carbed it all evens out, across the bottles.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw

You just caught some before they evened out, and others had. The 3 weeks is kinda just an average, some take longer some sooner.

Theyve been in a bottles for 2 months or a little more. Like i said, they still taste great so its not a big issue. But I certainly was curious. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I just ran into the same issue this week. I bottled half in ez-tops and half in bottles. I am finishing off the last few bottles of my wit and two of the ez-top bottles (so far, I am now scared to open the others) had no carbonation. The only factor that is different in the two is the rubber ring, which I assume can contract in the cold refrigerator. finished all the capped bottles with no problems.

Back