Hefeweizen Carbonation Concern- bottle bomb risk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbeers

Reaction score
This weekend I will be brewing an all grain hefeweisse. I plan to collect some of the post boil pre-chilled Hot wort and cap it in bottles, which will be refrigerated until bottle day two weeks later. I've been calculating my speise volume using the kaisers' spreadsheets, determining that with around 1.7 qts of speise my beer will result in around 3.2 volumes of CO2 (5 gal post fermentation beer volume). I am generally wondering how worried I should be about bottle bombs for this beer, even when 3.2 volumes is considered on the low end of this styles carbonation characteristics (usually a commercial average of 3.6 volumes).

Can I increase the speise amounts to make this one true to style or am I already in danger of explosions? Any methods to help prevent bottle bombs?

The last Hefe I did was carbed at a little over 4 volumes and I bottled conditioned. I too was a little concerned so I conditioned the bottles in plastic bins. Came out fine with no bombs at all. Really fizzy...but no bombs. lol

The last Hefe I did was carbed at a little over 4 volumes and I bottled conditioned. I too was a little concerned so I conditioned the bottles in plastic bins. Came out fine with no bombs at all. Really fizzy...but no bombs. lol

haha cool thanks maybe I'll up it a bit and shoot for around the average- 3.6 volumes

Back