Proactiv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody use it? My son hit puberty not too long ago and almost immediately started with the breakouts. He wanted to go straight to Proactiv, but I explained to him that he still needs to wash his face with that stuff, and I wasn't going to spend extra money on something that he won't use. So it took a while, but I got him into the habit of washing his face at least three times a day with soap and to use astringent when he needed it, but he's still got it bad.

And now, I want to get this stuff for him, but I just wanted to toss out a last minute check to see if anyone knows if it actually does what it says it does, or is it just another "infomercial" that disappoints. Input?

Some people in my family have used it, and it does seem to help. I'd say try it for a bit.

Excessive acne can be caused by dietary problems. Things like proactiv are helpful for dealing with symptoms, but don't let that prevent you addressing potential underlying causes.

I used it years ago and it did help a little. Although I'm not sure how different it is from all the products available these days. I'd recommend going to a dermatologist if you can and know of a good one.

Proactive works. Bought it for my son when he was starting high school and everything cleared up within two months and stayed that way. A trip to the dermatologist isn't a bad idea but the money will still be spent whether it is on the doctor visits (there will be more than one, especially if you have insurance) or the prescription medications.

We got it once when some idiot stole our CC number. We got mailed some vacation pics and some proactiv. I don't think we ever used it. My daughter was using some other system on tv, which did seem to help as long as she was doing it.

If we still have it, I can mail it to you, but I think my wife already gave it away.

Sorry to go OT for a minute, but the amount of advice that can by found on HBT never ceases to amaze me, it's also amazing how many people get here by Google searches pertaining to stuff that has absolutly nothing to do with Home Brew!

Just goes to show how true the old Buffalo analogy is of weak brain cells being killed off by liquor keeps the brain sharp!

Rock on brewers! :mug:

Just from a chemistry perspective, before you go and spend your money:

Proactiv = Benzoyl Peroxide + Salicylate

Both ingredients are found in over-the-counter acne medications that are much cheaper than Proactiv. If the astringent (salicylate) isn't working, have him try a Benzoyl Peroxide based cleanser if he hasn't yet. Just check the label for the active ingredient.

+1 to the dermo and not proactiv..........

i used proactive for 8 months when i was of age.....it did nothing but dry my skin out outrageously and hurt.........however i do know of people it worked for........the dermo will be able to get him the same stuff as proactiv and have it be more specific to him.......

if anything online, go with skinID.......i had some sucess with that.......

This is why I wanted to ask. I always used soap and it worked fine for me. I don't know a lot of people who have had acne problems recently, so I decided to ask a pretty reliable resource of information. Everything I had ever heard about Proactiv is good stuff, but most of it comes from commercials. I was trying to remember Skin iD, but for the life of me, I couldn't and of course, the commercials never came on. I'd like to try to avoid the dermatologist for the time being, in conjunction with this, I'm also trying to teach my son a level of responsibility and this kind of goes along with that idea. But it was a great suggestion and I will definitely keep it in mind, and for now, I'll try the Skin iD and see where that goes. I like the idea that you get a "personalized" recommendation instead of someone pushing the same generic crap into your hands with big promises. And if it doesn't work, then its off to the doc.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Have you seen a Doc? Acne is a medical condition.

Back