2007 Cabernet - Is this bacteria forming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPicardo

Reaction score
Just started my first attempt at making wine.

I started with a frozen bucket of 2007 Napa Valley Cabernet Must.

The grapes fermented for 10 days, and on Monday I crushed all of the grapes (by hand) and moved the wine to a 5 gallon carboy to await settlement so that I can rack and begin second fermentation.

Yesterday it looked as if things settled into layers. Today, the settlement looks much different. Is this bacteria, or normal?

100_2622.jpg

100_2620.jpg

100_2602.jpg

I believe bacteria would settle as a layer of film on top of your liquid not inside.

I believe bacteria would settle as a layer of film on top of your liquid not inside.

So if that's the case, them what the heck happened to the lees at the bottom of the carboy???? FYI, I plan on racking tonight, to begin a 6 week 2ndary fermentation.

Ive never made wine, but I just think it unlikely for it to be growing at the bottom of the fermenter rather than the surface based on the way bacterial infections work.

Latest posts

Back