White Labs German Ale/Kolsch - WLP029

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it a "quiet" yeast?

Now I know my airlock isn't a guide for fermentation blah blah blah...

But I'm not getting any activity...but I do know there is fermentin happening as I poped open the top of me vault just to see a nice big krausen up there.

So I either have to believe:

A) This isn't a big off gassing yeastie

or

B) My Vault isn't air tight as I thought it was

What's everyone's experience with this bugger?

I can't comment on krausen (using ale pails... and I keep them closed) but I'd be suspicious of your air-tightness. What temp are you fermenting at (029 really slows down below 60-62ºF i hear)?

I've used the 029 for my last 2 brews (5.25-5.5gal of a Kolsch and Oktoberfest) and had great activity. Kolsch was pitched with a 1L starter, O'fest pitched on 300 mL of slurry from the Kolsch. Activity was strong for about 36 hours fermenting at 65-66ºF. The O'fest has been quiet since (just over 3 weeks in primary currently), but the Kolsch continued for the full 2 weeks in primary to off-gas as it settled out at about 1 burp/minute.

Is it a "quiet" yeast?

Now I know my airlock isn't a guide for fermentation blah blah blah...

But I'm not getting any activity...but I do know there is fermentin happening as I poped open the top of me vault just to see a nice big krausen up there.

So I either have to believe:

A) This isn't a big off gassing yeastie

or

B) My Vault isn't air tight as I thought it was

What's everyone's experience with this bugger?

I have had BOTH ends of the spectrum.

Once, pre-blow off days, I had a double gusher. I just brewed a batch, however, that was in the primary for 14 days. It was mashed low on purpose and was a real slow one (Kolsch beer). Low Krausen and tepid CO2. However, after finishing up the fermenting and conditioning, the beer is excellent!

So, I am no expert, but I would not worry. Let this one run out a bit. I use WLP029 quite a bit.

What temps are you at?

It's fermenting at 65* .. still the activity is nil (grated it could be doing its thing while I'm asleep)

Is it possible to have something watertight but not airtight?

Yes. Water molecules are larger than air molecules

But i'm with the previous poster, just let it run its course. As you had krausen, you'll have co2 even if it is leaking from somewhere else rather than the airlock. And in theory you could ferment open and still keep the beer below safe, but i'd keep it sealed anyway:D.

Side comment sort of in jest: there is water in the airlock right? (I saw a thread a while back where the OP forgot to add water. I also had this happen with the O'fest during high activity and run the airlock dry.)

It's fermenting at 65* .. still the activity is nil (grated it could be doing its thing while I'm asleep)

65 is almost perfect for WLP029. Don't be surprised if the Krauesen does not fall.

You'll be good. Just check the gravity as your indicator.

:mug:

65 is almost perfect for WLP029. Don't be surprised if the Krauesen does not fall:

Did you see this with the Kolsch you just did? Any reason your grain bill or technique would have contributed to this? Or do these yeasties vary that much from WL? Just wondering as my Kolsch went 14 days at roughly 65F (although the last 7 days it probably fell off to about 62) and the Krausen was nowhere to be found so it had def. fallen. We'll see what the O'fest looks like at gravity and bottling tomorrow.

Man, kolsch can be a messy fermenter and smell like sulfur even. No matter what yeast you use, the process of eating sugar and releasing CO2 and alcohol is the same. So if you aren't gettting CO2 you aren't fermenting. If you have krausen, things are going fine.....your fermenter isn't sealed obviously.

I vote for a leak somewhere. I brewed a Kolsch just a week ago. It is fermenting at 62*F and it churned like crazy. I had pretty well slowed down by the end of the 5th day.

Yeah I'll just let it go. I pop it open from time to time and see the Krausen so I'm not too worried...but more amazed.

I guess it isn't airtight. I know it is water tight as I fill them with StarSan and turn them upside down when I sanitize them...I'd have noticed a puddle ;)

I'll pull a sample at the end of the week and see what's going on.

+1 on probable leak, but should be fine.

On Krauesen falling: I had one batch where the Krauesen fell fine. I harvested/rinsed the same yeast, and the next batch the Krauesen didn't completely fall. Not sure why the difference, but clearly YMMV.

Back