Red Rice Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
I recently came across a bag of red rice at a international market in Cincy, ohio. Anyway what I want to do is make a beer with a color that is not possible without the use of the red rice. I have also read that the red rice adds a subtle nutty flavor too.

I am not sure as to what I want to make yet, but I was thinking along the lines of a Belgain white ale with the red rice as an adjunct, or a Pils. based lager with some munich thrown in with the red rice to get a really bright ruby red color.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments on this?

Well, I think the Hitachino Nest is a Belgian-style that uses red rice, and I think it's pretty good (I assumed you've tried it, no?) so that's definitely an option. I don't know of too many other beers that use red rice...

Bump!

I brewed a blonde ale yesterday with 2 lbs of red rice from Thailand I got in a "hippy" market. I've wanted to do a cereal mash for awhile so this was a good opportunity. Since I was already doing a cereal mash I also used a pound of unmalted wheat instead of malted wheat that I use in my normal blonde. For the cereal mash I followed Ray Daniels recommendations in radical brewing. It worked out well for me ymmv.

Recipe:
75 percent eff.
6 gallons
90 min boil
OG 1.047
Anticipated FG 1.011
4.7 abv
29 ibus
4 srm (came out darker because of the red rice)

3.5 lbs domestic 2-row
3.5 lbs German pils
2 lbs red rice (Thailand)
1 lb unmalted white wheat
.5 lbs crystal 20
Pitched 100ml of us-05 slurry

1 oz perle 9.1 percent @ 60 min
.5 oz crystal 2.8 percent @ 10 min
.5 oz crystal 2.8 percent @ flameout

Cereal Mash:
2 lbs red rice
1 lb unmalted wheat
1 lb 2-row

Crushed the rice and wheat in my barley crusher with the gap setting tighter than normal. Grinding was tough, you should prob do it by hand. Ground to the consistency of grits more or less. Heated up the adjuncts and the 1 lb of malted barley with 7.5 quarts of water (a very thin 2.5 qts per lb). Heated to 122 and held for 30 min then raised to 148 for 25 min. After that I boiled it gently for 15 min and added it to the main mash which was siting at 122 which brought the temp up to my target of 152. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent scorching throughout the process.

Main Mash:
3.5 lbs German pils
2.5 lbs Dom 2-row
.5 lbs crystal 20

Mashed in with 4.5 gallons of water to raise temp to 122 and rested for 30 min. I was shooting for 1.75 - 2 qts per pound for the final mash with the adjuncts added. I mashed thin because i was worried about effeciency. I also rested the mash for 90 min also to ensure conversion. Worked out well for me. I mashed in with the main mash when the cereal mash was at the end of the 148 degree rest. Also added 2 oz of rice hulls when I added the cereal mash to the main mash.

Hope I didn't leave anything out. Pitched yeast at 60 and I'm fermenting cool @ 62 to hopefully let the red rice flavor come through. The wort tasted good going into the fermenter. Unfortunately the rice didn't contribute any red or pink color more of a peach color. Maybe next time I'll use 3 lbs of red rice.

Cereal Mash:

Back