Grain to Glass in a Week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this with a low gravity beer? Perhaps a mild or something? I heard of this on Basic Brewing Radio and was wondering how it tasted after a week. I'm going on R&R in January from Iraq for two weeks and was wondering if it would be worth it or not. I don't want to spend the money on the grains if it wouldn't be worth drinking in a week. Oh, and I would be force carbing in a keg if you where wondering.

I've done 10 days with a mild and with BM's Centennial Blond many times. 7 days in primary, 1 day chilling in kegerator, and 2 days at 30psi. If you make a starter, you could probably cut 1 day off the fermentation time. Then, if you carb with the shake method, you could cut off another 1-2 days. So, yes, I think you can be serving a low gravity beer in 7 days. It may be a bit green and will have some CO2 bite at first but I'd go for it!

Enjoy your time off man. Thanks for your service!!

Old post, I know, but I just made a kolsch, 5 days fermentation was done with a starter, 1 day in the fridge at 35, racked to keg, and forced carbed, and drinking in 7 days time. It's actually better than I expected, in fact, it tastes a lot like the kolsch I get from one of my local brew pubs. So yeah, I think it's possible, and I'm enjoying some now! Cheers!

I did a 10 day ipa once, came out real well. Pitched the wort on a cake of notty and it chewed it up in 5 days, then dry hopped it for 3 days, then in the keg to carb.

I did a 10 day ipa once, came out real well. Pitched the wort on a cake of notty and it chewed it up in 5 days, then dry hopped it for 3 days, then in the keg to carb.

Next time keg hop and you could shave 3 days off :D

Has anyone ever tried this with a low gravity beer? Perhaps a mild or something? I heard of this on Basic Brewing Radio and was wondering how it tasted after a week. I'm going on R&R in January from Iraq for two weeks and was wondering if it would be worth it or not. I don't want to spend the money on the grains if it wouldn't be worth drinking in a week. Oh, and I would be force carbing in a keg if you where wondering.

I'm guessing you'd have maybe 2 or 4 days to drink your beer IF you brewed the first day you are back (that's hardcore) and you might have 'green' tastes, etc. I don't know... seems like bad odds in your favor.

If I feel like rushing, my ordinary bitter is typically done fermenting in 48 hours including lag time (usually 12 hrs), so I let it clean up for a couple days and I can keg it and force carb it to about 2.1-2.2 volumes, where it's tastiest. I've brewed that beer on Monday and drank it Saturday afternoon and had it come out as tasty as ever.

Where is home? If you are deployed from Ft Bliss I can have a 12 pack of properly aged Home brew waiting for you the day you arrive. Tell me what you like and Ill brew it this weekend.

Old post, I know, but I just made a kolsch, 5 days fermentation was done with a starter, 1 day in the fridge at 35, racked to keg, and forced carbed, and drinking in 7 days time. It's actually better than I expected, in fact, it tastes a lot like the kolsch I get from one of my local brew pubs. So yeah, I think it's possible, and I'm enjoying some now! Cheers!

I just brewed, fermented, secondaried/fined, kegged, carbed and drank my first all grain, a Scottish 60 in 7 days. It was not perfect, but it was damn gratifying.

I'm glad there's already a thread on this topic. I don't think it has to be a low gravity beer. I just kegged a vienna/caliente smash beer 1.060--->1.010 in four days using wyeast1272, three day dry hop, one day cold crash, one day shaking force carb.

Another beer I was going to enter into a local comp leaked out of the keg because of a faulty connection...I had already paid my entry fees so I needed to get this one ready in a jiffy. Tastes great!

Back