American IPA and English Ale Yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I just read the BYO article where Stone gives like 6 clone recipes for their various beers. They said that their yeast is closer to an English strain than a CA ale yeast. They suggest using WLP 002 (English Ale yeast) for their Ruination IPA, which is the clone I am going to attempt.

I was wondering if anyone has used this yeast for an American IPA and how it turned out. The OG for the clone is 1.072 and I'm worried that WLP002 won't attenuate enough to reach their listed FG of 1.012.

I might sub 3/4 lb of cane sugar for some 2-row to help. I was just wondering if anyone else has used this yeast for an American IPA and how it turned out.

If you could, maybe list your OG and FG. Thanks :mug:

I used this to make a magic hat number 9 clone not too long ago. Number 9 is basically an amarillo IPA with apricot exract or fruit in case you didn`t know. It seemed to attenuate ok, but the little sweetness it did leave went well with my sort of fruity recipe. The great thing about this yeast is that it flocculates like no other strain I have ever used. It looked like filtered beer without a cold crash!

Back