Impact of fruit on starting gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I'm about to embark on a beer I like to call Maverick Cat No. 10 (Magic Hat No. 9 clone).

When calculating the OG, should I basically ignore the 3lbs of Oregon fruit puree in the secondary? (I noticed there're no fruit options in the ingredients list in Beersmith.) Or, is there a ppg number for various fruits that would let me calculate the contribution to the gravity?

Thanks.

Nobody's taken a gravity reading after racking to the secondary? (Assuming it's all in solution at that point, which it likely isn't.)

Well, I'll take a crack at it and report back.

OK, I'll give this a whack. The addition to OG would be straightforward if you knew the SG and volume of the juice you would get if you could separate it from the crud in the puree. The crud is ignorable - it won't contribute to fermentables, and will get separated out at some point in the process. The juice will contribute both sugars and water.

You don't say what kind of fruit is in the puree, but my experience is that most are in the 1.040 - 1.050 range (e.g., raspberry, apple). Obviously, grape is higher, but presumably that's not what you're using. Anyway, this gravity range is probably close enough to your base beer's OG that you could just ignore it. However, you should keep in mind that unlike the sugars from the beer portion, those from the fruit portion will be essentially 100% fermentable.

OK. So I had a look at the wine making instructions for this, and it looks like it is a bigger source of sugar than I thought. It says 1 can should make 1 gallon of 1.090 must. That implies 30 p/p/g x 3 lb. You should be able to enter that into your recipe calculator. I'm not familiar with Beersmith, but 30 p/p/g is very close to maple syrup.

Latest posts

Back