pint vs pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I can buy clover honey for 8 bucks a pint. BUT the recipes call for the honey in POUNDS. how much approximately does a pint of honey weigh?

A pint will usually weigh about 1.5 pounds. You are being charged in excess of $5 per pound. You can have some of the best honey in the world delivered to your doorstep for less than $4 per pound. I'd look for some better pricing.

thanks guys. I wanna give a batch of mead a go but the honey was just killin me on price

Have you tried locating local beekeepers? They seem to offer the best prices.

If all else fails I wpold try some Costco or Sams club honey to get a small batch going. Quality honey is always better, but some honey is better than no honey.

First let me say that I am new to mead but not to honey.
Local honey price is based on supply and market, some beekeepers are lucky to get $4.00 per pound and others can get up to $20.00 per pound.
If you are going to boil or heat your honey over 140 deg. you might as well buy super market honey as the high heat will kill off any flavor that fresh (raw) honey has.
If you buy market honey check the bottle or cap and make sure it is a product of U.S.A. or even better get a bottle from your area or state.
Goggle honey laundering and you will see what I mean. Jim

I walked into a dutch market today and they had 12 pounds (1 gallon) of honey for $35 bucks. Cheapest I have seen it , and its local, not some fake chineese honey like they sell at costco.

thanks guys. I wanna give a batch of mead a go but the honey was just killin me on price

Now's the time to check your local farm markets. Some of them carry honey as a sideline. It might not be locally produced (a family here sells orange blossom honey - as if there are orange trees in upper NY) but you may be able to find some different varieties.

Dave

I walked into a dutch market today and they had 12 pounds (1 gallon) of honey for $35 bucks. Cheapest I have seen it , and its local, not some fake chineese honey like they sell at costco.
Good price. That'd be $2.90 per lb (about £1.80), the cheapest I've seen here would be about the $4 per lb equivalent.

$35 for 12 pounds is a steal.

I live in the Bay Area and the cheapest honey I can find easily comes from Safeway.
They carry 5 pound tins of raw wildflower honey from a large local beekeeper and sell them for $16-$18 a pop (depending on time of year, spring and summer I've seen them fall to $12 on sale)

It's a very tasty honey, and the mead I'm making with it now is turning out very nicely.

It's called Robert Cole Wild Mountain Honey.
picture.php

The best I have found so far is a local bee keeper who is selling it to me in buckets at £2.50 per lb, which by googles calculations is $4 a lb, he normally sells in in 250ml pots at about £4, so going direct and buying in bulk is definatly the way forward! But I have no idea how people over there manage to find it so cheap, I guess there just more bees?

I think so. Plus there are regions where the bees can produce almost year round.

Dave

The US is about 100 times the size of the UK by acrage. There is much more farm land, and people. Its also much cheaper to own land and products are cheaper in the USA in gerneal the Eurpope.

Would it be worth buying a few more gallons at 35 to inflation proof myself?

The US is about 100 times the size of the UK by acrage. There is much more farm land, and people. Its also much cheaper to own land and products are cheaper in the USA in gerneal the Eurpope.

Buy it up, or get your own bees.:)

If you've got the room to store it, sure. Honey doesn't exactly spoil. It may crystallize but when you're making mead you're going to dissolve it in water anyway.

Dave

If you've got the room to store it, sure. Honey doesn't exactly spoil. It may crystallize but when you're making mead you're going to dissolve it in water anyway.

Dave

Indeed.
Honey has been found, still edible, in ancient Egyptian tombs more than 3000 years old.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they stock a 3-lb container of mesquite honey for about $10 or $11.

I read a report recently that describes Chinese honey being shipped to places like India and what not, where it is relabeled and sold to other countries, like the US. The FDA at this time does not have the resources to track this.

Major honey companies in the US may unknowingly be purchasing Chinese honey from these other places. This Chinese honey may contain any number of adulterants or contaminants.

This means that you might get more than just a better price at a local producer. You might get better honey.

What about those of us who LIKE the flavor of cadmium and lead? You are totally spoiling our fun... :p
I read a report recently that describes Chinese honey being shipped to places like India and what not, where it is relabeled and sold to other countries, like the US. The FDA at this time does not have the resources to track this.

Major honey companies in the US may unknowingly be purchasing Chinese honey from these other places. This Chinese honey may contain any number of adulterants or contaminants.

This means that you might get more than just a better price at a local producer. You might get better honey.

Back